1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone in WV???

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wvtoliver, Jul 10, 2007.

1. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Are you in the counties that have the Blizzard warning too? It is snowing like crazy and that wind is really blowing. I'm hoping the power stays on. [​IMG]

Good luck, hope you stay safe and warm!! [​IMG]

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    WELCOME KenLamWV

Good luck with the new adventure [​IMG]

3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well, I grew up in Montana. I have seen blizzards where my grandfather had to tie a rope to the door to go to the barn to milk, because he chanced getting lost in the snow if he didn't.

So I would not really call this a blizzard. I have never seen what I call a blizzard in WV, at least not here.

That said, there is certainly plenty of snow to go with here in northern WV. And sometimes it is almost horizontal.

John did go off to work this morning, carrying all my eggs (yup, the hens are laying up a storm, they don't care if it is snowing), but he is driving the 4WD.

My box of chicks is next to me as I type, and I DO hope the power doesn't go off again, or I am going to have a problem keeping the little things warm.

We do have a wood cook stove. I love it.

I am really tired of the snow and cold this year, but hopefully it means we won't run out of water next summer!

Twitter, twitter, chirp, at least the chickies sound springlike!

Sorry to go on--I guess I am getting a little lonely here!

Catherine

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Well, We did have to tie a rope from the back deck to the henhouse this morning so I could get back from feeding and watering so Yes, it's a BLIZZARD and I have seen my share here in WV. Main roads over the Allegheny mountains were shut down as of this morning.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Holy Moley!!!! That's a lot of snow, Sandy. Is it heading this way [​IMG]

IggiMom, I have two brooders full and two bators full ...don't even mention power outages!! [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Just Randolph and Pocahontas counties Erin! I have eggs in the bator too and chicks in a brooder!!!

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Whewe!!! Good Luck to y'all.. no tieing myself to the back door today [​IMG]

8. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Just checking to see how you guys and gals are surviving the blizzard.

Everyone ok? Are chickens blowing by your windows?

9. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    My chickens are inside the hen house. Although normally they free range, I do not feel that they want to go outside in this awful weather! I have been feeding them cooked sweet potatoes to help keep the yolks of the eggs nice and yellow!

And I do have a box of chicks inside, right next to me in fact.

So, no, I am not seeing them flying past the windows in this 'snowacaine'.

I just hope my husband gets home safely.

I humbly apologize for saying that WV doesn't have blizzards, hope everyone will overlook it.

The turkeys and peafowl and guineas who do live outside seem to be holed up somewhere, and we have been giving them lots of corn and 20% feed to help them survive the cold.

Catherine

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Catherine, we do get some big time snow... thought I am sure we cannot hold a candle to no Montana sized storm [​IMG] nor do we want to!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by