Anyone in WV???

you can spend hours trying to get a good picture of chickens... they don't pose very well. Certain chickens I can only get pictures from far away and through a fence, as soon as I enter the pen they run and hide under the coop. Usually my best looking chickens too.
My girls are pretty friendly ... I’ll take grapes out and distract them. Goodness the DO love red grapes!

I grew up in Fairmont, but live outside of Parkersburg now next to the OH River.

I have a thread in the BREED section asking about chickens that are a good fit for my needs and location if anyone minds popping in over there please.

:frow

Hi and welcome! I am also a native West Virginian, raised in the Vienna/Parkersburg area but since retirement my husband and I moved to Williamstown, WV so also also good night the Ohio River.

After a busy and rather public life, we bought this place and I finally got my chickens! Just 4, Austrolorpe, red lace Wyandotte, silver lace Wyandotte, and a Buff Orpington. They are now almost 4 months old and I am loving them as much as I have known I would.
Tell us more about your chickens. :)

Welcome new folks to the WV thread! I am also in the Parkersburg/Williamstown area!

I have plenty of birds if anyone needs some, please, please come get some?? :lol: And broodies out the wazoo, so plenty of chicks too. Bantam cochins, seramas, and cream legbars. I also keep call ducks and classic frill pigeons.

:frow

Sounds like we are practically neighbors! I promised my husband when we first moved here that I would only get 4 chicks. Since he’s been around them (a 1st for him) he is growing to like them so .... we’ll see.

Welcome new folks to the WV thread! I am also in the Parkersburg/Williamstown area!

I have plenty of birds if anyone needs some, please, please come get some?? :lol: And broodies out the wazoo, so plenty of chicks too. Bantam cochins, seramas, and cream legbars. I also keep call ducks and classic frill pigeons.
I

Would all you WV people weigh in on this please. I am old to WV but new to chicken keeping. My 4 girls are 4 months old, I have a coop and large, covered attached pen. We live on a cleared hill. I am concerned about the wind and cold coming up the hill this winter onto my girls. Would it work to wrap the pen 3 or 4 feet high with heavy plastic sheeting?
8E40D920-64A9-4DE2-8664-74F886943F0C.jpeg

Would all you WV people weigh in on this please. I am old to WV but new to chicken keeping. My 4 girls are 4 months old, I have a coop and large, covered attached pen. We live on a cleared hill. I am concerned about the wind and cold coming up the hill this winter onto my girls. Would it work to wrap the pen 3 or 4 feet high with heavy plastic sheeting? View attachment 1908588

I like it!
What I do might work for you. I add a heavy duty tarp to the windy side of mine. I have screws across the top and also across the center beam. During windy or bad snowy days, I raise it. Sunny days, I lower it to half height. Spring time thru fall, I remove it completely.
IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG

I opted to get 4 different kinds (2
@HennyPenny2019 thanks. I will check with @WVduckchick first, I read good things about those cream legbars, but again would like at least 2 or 3 different kinds with my 6 I'll need.
I like it!
What I do might work for you. I add a heavy duty tarp to the windy side of mine. I have screws across the top and also across the center beam. During windy or bad snowy days, I raise it. Sunny days, I lower it to half height. Spring time thru fall, I remove it completely.
View attachment 1910256 View attachment 1910259
yep ... that should work for me and would be easier. Now to figure out which is going to be the bad weather side

Haven't been on here in a very long time but was wondering if there are any other WV folks here. I live between Huntington and Charleston WV. Close to the KY< OH area.

Looking for other chicken folks to chat with. I am now down to 5 chickens. Thanks to various varmits on our farm--- that we know of- 3 bobcats which were eliminated last summer. (one was in the chicken house when found) scared the husband pretty bad. lots of raccoons, possums, and 1 coyote (that was also eliminated) came out about 20 yards from the front door. Boy they are scary looking animals. I had an original flock of 42 and had kept adding on. Even building another coop and run just for silkies. (had about 26 silkies that disappeared due to predators, they only left a few feathers. Still not sure how or what got them.

Now since we are down to 5 my husband has asked that I not get anymore until I finish Nursing school in 2008. So I guess the spring of 2009 I will add to my 5 little hens.

Look forward to getting to chat with the folks on this board. I have learned alot on here. And read some great info and stories.

I even got eggs last years from KY silkies that hatched out some of the most beautiful birds. I think I got 18 chicks out of 22 eggs.
That was thanks to this board.

Tracy in WV
Hello!, my name is angela and I am an RN, I am located in Leon WV, outside of Taes valley, Good luck with nursing school!! I've been there. I am new to chicken farming and want to adopt, or purchase some silkies. Any kind would be ok, but only females. I accidently bought one( I think he got in the wrong section).. Anyway I only have one and 8 other chickens. I want her have a buddy or two, she's a loner and doesn't really mix with my other chickens. IF anyone knows of any please contact me. Due to our cold winter coming on I would prefer not to have very smell chicks.
Thanks and good talking to you

Back
Top Bottom