Anyone in WV???

Pics
I don't know if you have the same NPIP guy I had, but he was a chicken catching pro. He even had a chicken catching tool. Little hook on the end of a long stiff wire, hooks the leg and brings them right to him. I've also found a fishing net to be very helpful in catching chickens.

Re: Fairmont regulations....they are ridiculous. Your coop has to be 80 meters from any neighboring homes...which is about impossible in town. (When I got ours, I misread and thought it was 80 feet, which we are good on, but just barely).

Since I misread...and technically we were in violation, we had to go before the zoning board to get a varience....which we did, but just barely. Our immediate neighbors are both elderly women...and they love our girls. In fact, they were never particularly friendly before with got the chickens, and since they have come over several times just to see them. They both grew up on farms...but both say they have never seen chickens as beautiful or tame as ours.

However...some neighbors up the street got mad at us (they were shooting fireworks that were landing in our yard...when we had little ones running around and I asked them to shoot them so they fell in they own yard...blah blah blah) and called animal control. They lied and said our chickens were in the road, cars were swerving everywhere, someone was going to die (!). We weren't even home at the time, so the girls were in their yard. The animal control people came...couldn't come in the yard since we weren't here...but verified that they were properly contained and helped us through the process of getting a varience.

It was a pretty funny zoning board meeting.

Hey everyone
frow.gif
We are having another chickenstock here in WV... We just can't get enough
cool.png

Anyway, here's our website http://wvchickenstock.blogspot.com/2010/01/saturday-april-24-2010.html

thread
: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=348749

Please
stop in and say HI. We'd love to hear from you and would love to see you there. It will be a hot one so, I was thinking of having a baby pool set up for the young kids and maybe even borrowing my girlfriend's moonbounce for the older ones. What do ya think?

Quote:
Another Fairmont resident here... Well sorta. We rent in fairmont proper, but own 18 acres just on the other side of the taylor county line. I had contemplated keeping a couple girls here, but those crazy restrictions make it impossible on a city lot.

Will be building a house in 2011... cant wait to be out with the girls with my closest neighbor @ 500ft then the next closest at about 1/4 mile
smile.png

I have only been in the area for a year, and was wondering if there was a better place to get feed than TSC in Clarksburg.

Welcome to our WV page. There is a couple of places I know of in the area. There is Southern States in Clarksburg and there is Farmer's Delight in Grafton. I have only bought my feed at TSC so I don't know what the different prices there are. All I know is that at these two places, I bought all my birds from them since they didn't have any minimum purchase unlike Tractor Supply who had a 6 bird minimum.

Also to all, I finally started my BYC Page and you can see pics of my coop and girls. Enjoy- Ken

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I was unaware of the SS in Clarksburg. I had been searching for someone who had or could get me 30% gamebird starter. For anyone that is looking, I was able to order it from a place in Fairmont for ~$16 a bag.

Speedway Market
1036 Speedway Street
Fairmont, WV 26554-4479
(304) 363-1324

Well, we had our little flock NPIP'd. What a day. Next time I will know to get myself several helpers to catch and hold the birds. It really took a long time and I thought we would never get done.

They passed just fine, except that of course I won't get the results on the swabs until possibly Monday.

The man from the Dept. of Ag was very nice and he said that my chickens were in very good shape. Some had bare backs, even with their little aprons, from the amorous roos, but that is to be expected. He did not see any diarrhea, lice, or leg scale problems, and said they were good and solid. He also said that they were very well feathered, in fact ready for Siberia.

Does this mean a bad winter next year I wonder?

You can sell eggs without doing this, but I think it probably should be done,.

For those who do not know, this is a free service.

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom