Anyone know about rabbits?

The smell from my house rabbit is non-existent, no one notices it.

Anyway, I would just be extremely worried about outside predators and heat in the summer. Wire cages will also cause chronic sore hocks.

My husband is super sensitive. They get to roam the deck all day and are put to bed at night. A predator would have to work very hard to get to them on the 2nd story deck. No stairs, opens to out bedrOom. They will come in when it gets hot. They are so happy right now!

What I do is I put straw\bedding in my rabbits house and when it starts to get colder out I bring them inside

Last edited:
I'm new to chickens but know a little about rabbits. I have 2 lionhead mixes (brother and sister from a friend's neighbor oops I thought I had 2 female rabbits.....) I initially hoped to keep them inside but they did not take long to prove messy and smelly. We kept them inside the first winter while they were babies and moved them to a hutch in the spring 2 years ago. The hutch is made of plywood floor. 2 levels - the bottom is completely surrounded with chicken wire. The top of the hutch is divided with a piece of plywood so if I ever need to separate them I can and I use that half for my supplies. Mine is on grass and I bought a wire play yard which is permanently attached so I can let them out all day when it is nice. I but bird netting over it so the hawks can't get them. I bought a small mat heater because I thought they would need it but they didn't go near it in the winter so I took it out. Like the previous poster said, rabbits tolerate cold much better than heat. I have always had the hutch under a tree for shade a flying predator protection. If your's is on a deck you might try an umbrella for shade. I think that is the key concern for you. Keep them cool. I have read about putting a frozen gallon of water in the cage but have never needed to. Sometimes they look hot and just stretched out on those lazy summer days. Not sure how cold an Oregon winter is but I think it would be milder than are below freezing NJ winter we just had. I do have a plexiglass piece that I attached to the front of the top their hutch in the winter. So upstairs they are free from drafts. Downstairs I put a heavy clear plastic on 3 sides to prevent cold winds and snow from getting into the bottom. I even have some nice houses for them that they never go in. They sleep on top. And they always have plenty of hay which I think is a nice insulator in the winter. I used to buy the timothy hay online for $50 a bale then learned they can eat anything horses do and now buy an $8 bale down the street......

Back
Top Bottom