Anyone know age and/or breed on these roosters?

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
I got 3 roosters from my neighbor, who has a big flock of mixed ages and breeds. They are freakishly wild so they'll probably go in the freezer.

Obviously mutts can look like anything. I just wondered if any of you experienced people out there recognized anything on breed? Just curious. They will all cook the same. :p

At least 2 of them have spurs, and they all have big fluffy tails, so I'm assuming they must be older than my 4-month-old Barred Rock roos, who are starting to have fluffy tails, but don't have spurs yet.

I am also curious about the combs. They don't look like the big single combs on my BR's. Are they a certain kind? Or are they just mutt combs?

One more question. What are the proper names for their colors? I know next to nothing about chicken colors and patterns.

I'm having fun with this chicken sleuthing.

Here's the first roo:

And here is the second one:

And here is the third one:

Pic could be better, but I can't tell the spurs on him like I can on the other two...

Look like mixes--they all have a pea comb or a pea comb mix.
The top looks to be a Buff Orpington mix - buff colored with white legs.
Not sure about the other two, but I'm sure somebody could give some tips considering the tail carriage.

You might want to treat for scaly leg mites.

ETA: I would guess the whites are +6months, the buff could be younger.

Last edited:
The combs are typical modified pea combs, Happens when you breed pea to single. Third looks more like a regular pea comb, though big, note how much smaller his wattles are than the other two.
They are definitely some kind of mixed breed.

Yikes...thanks guys!!!!!!!! What do you see that tells you scaly leg mites? That isn't something I have learned about yet, so I didn't recognize it as such. Guess I'll hop over to the health forums to learn how to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom