Comb size question

hunnyjoconnor

Chirping
Jan 5, 2024
People keep telling me I have a roo. These two (Winston & Salem) in the attached photos are same breed, same age, from the same hatchery, same tail feather shapes same temperament just different size combs. Is that normal (for them to be different sizes) or do I have a rooster?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240307_115045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240307_115045_Gallery.jpg
    689.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240306_182320.jpg
    20240306_182320.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 27
So should I keep him with the hens, when he gets older or is it better for him to have his own coop?
Bumping this for you. I’m new to chickens and mine are only 3 weeks old. I’ll have the same question if I end up with a rooster. From what I read a rooster might help with hierarchy and bully hens but I’d like to see what others say.
I'd keep him with the flock. When people suggest keeping rooster separated it's usually because the rooster is displaying bad behavior, such as human or chicken aggression or over mating.

I'd keep him with the flock. When people suggest keeping rooster separated it's usually because the rooster is displaying bad behavior, such as human or chicken aggression or over mating.
Got it. Thanks so much!
We keep ours with the flock. We rehome any problematic roosters. David is going to build a separate run for a bachelor pad for rooster overflow - for those he wants to send to freezer camp.
Aw man, if I have a rooster then he better behave. I’m not ready to send anyone to freezer camp. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom