anyone know how great McMurray Hatchery is?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjeanean, Mar 5, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm thinking about ordering a few more chicks, but I want some opinions from people who have already ordered from them. Thanks!
    (By the way, if any regulars post here I'll warn you/apologize ahead of time: I'm new at this, so you're gonna see a lot from me!)

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have always gotten healthy active chickens from MM. I have never ordered chicks from any other hatchery.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    do you know if their chicks are guaranteed from shipping casualties? If any die during shipment will they replace them for free?

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I bet if you did a search you'd find lots of chatter about McMurray.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, they do but I have never lost a chick.

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    hmmm.....thanks!

7. living2ride

living2ride Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
  8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I ordered from MMH for the first time last month. I did have quite a few die. Actually 15 out of 33. But what I can say is that MMH has the best customer service. They were wonderful. They replaced all the ones that died, even the ones that were DOA. They replaced them by sending out new chicks the following week. If I would not have wanted more chicks sent to me, they would have credited me for the chicks that I lost. I was impressed by their customer service and response. I would order from them again because of their customer service.

9. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I have 24 almost 2 week old McMurray chicks and I have been very happy with them!
    I lost 4 un the first 2 1/2 days that I am sure was from shipping stress as they were my smallest chicks.
    Cold is hard on chicks and I'm sure that my little ones were piled on in the box and just never rebounded.
    A lot of things can make chicks sick, but the stress from shipping or a "bad trip" where the chicks may have been stressed can put them at risk for other illnesses that have nothing to do with the Hatchery. I don't understand that if chicks grow well for a few weeks then start to become ill how that is the hatchery's fault.
    I would order from them again!
    their customer service was great, they credited me on the 4 chicks I lost and one of those chicks was even an extra! and one had not died when I talked to them but I told them she was just not growing and thriving. she died that night.
    I'm glad I have my chicks here but I think I took a chance odering in Feb.
    CS
    Woodburn, OR

10. i ordered 25 from them last April and only lost one which was from shipping, but the rest are really great. they are laying well, I ordered RIR's and all the hens are a beautiful dark red color, but my roo has beautiful iridescent green feathers, but he is BIG to so i dont worry about them. If I need more chicks I would order from them. (I sold half of what i had at a profit so i ended up with the 12 i wanted to start with.)

Owned by 13 RIRs,1 pitt bull,1 poodle mix,1 yorkie,1 great dane, and l cabby gray cat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by