Anyone know how peacocks and turkeys do together?

Mine live together just fine, but I got everyone as adults.

My peachick that I raised this year did get her topknot taken off to the skull, but I am pretty sure that was the guineas (winter housing was close quarters since no one wan't guineas last fall
sad.png
).

I would never try penning them together ever again, those were eastern The tom, peck the peacock head, to the point he kill him. All in a spring day.

If free range they could get away i guess.

Those had live together for a year, got all from one person.

Dont think it worth the risk!!!!

The only way I would feel safe afetr reading horror stories is to pen one of them so they dont get into it, but i wont do that. I will let my tom roam free. I like seeing him perched on my fence in front of my house anyway.

I have found that all Fowl species are pretty much the same. Peacocks get a bad rap sometimes for being too aggressive. I have found two things work (BTW, my wife and I own and operate a wildlife habitat and sanctuary for rescued animals). First, when we introduce a new male, we always add enough females so that he doesn't turn his natural tendencies/aggressions toward the other species. Second, give them space. Several bird-types in the same small pen is an invitation to trouble. And one more note, guineas chase everything. They are natural guardians. Shoot, they even chase our goats and donkeys. Come feeding time, they will be right there with the rest of them though. Hope this answered your concern.

I already have chickens and heritage turkeys, and now I want to start raising peafowl. Does anybody have any fertilized eggs for sale? I like to hand raise them so they will be friendlier. Also does anybody know if peafowl can freerange and be expected to come back to their pen at night?

I love this site! Everyone is so knowledgeable and kind!

We had about 50 free ranging peacocks when i was a kid.. They preferred to roost in the trees or on our roof lol but they were almost always around.....btw a peacock did kill two of our toms
1f61e.png
so I would definitely keep them seperate

Back
Top Bottom