Anyone know how to take care of these? ***SPIDER PICTURE ALERT***

Quote:
You got bit by a Recluse??? What happened?

I'm another pro spider person. My wife just loves it(sarcasm). I won't kill without a
reason no matter what. My son's teacher asked everone to bring a bug into school
that she would put in a big aquarium. We found him a small female spider with an
egg sack. We put it on a small plastic box. His class delighted in seeing all the babies
hatch and start crawling out of the box. His teacher made him bring it home. We then
put her and her babies in the barn. Hopefully we influenced some young minds.

Feed the spider to the chickens. Mine love spiders. An animal can ingest venom since
it's only a protein.

Carburator cleaner works great, too. I always felt like there was a reason they were called "Black Widow" spiders. I'm glad you found it, too. Probably saved your beardie.

Oh, black widows make awesome pets. They're low maintenance and great conversation starters, and they usually die within one to two years so you don't have to worry about any long term commitments. Just make sure their container is escape proof, and be sure to flush any egg sacs she may lay.
I catch one or two juveniles around here every year, because they are unmated and I don't have to deal with disposing of egg sacs. Any others get squished, but only if they are near the house. If a black widow bites you, you really don't have to be too concerned unless you're over 60, under 6, or have an auto immune disease. It's the brown recluses that are scary. My uncle was bit by one, but the doctors incorrectly assumed he had AIDs, and the real cause of his sickness wasn't caught until it seemed we were going to lose him. The fact that a brown recluse bite can be mistaken for such a serious disease is pretty scary.
Here in Texas those are the only two spiders that are potentially dangerous, so we let all the other species live. They are the best pest control you can find.

Thanks for all of the replies. Around here the guys (my hubby and oldest son) voted for killing it by any means, my daughter and I had mixed feelings about exterminating it. Not being one to intentionally put my family and pets at risk, I put an alcohol soaked cotton ball in the jar, hoping to suffocate it. But after reading everyone's posts I went back out to the reptile room to search and sure enough found another one....much smaller, under a counter and killed it. Time to remove all the tanks and spray.

Yeah, I was going to say that I'm pretty sure death by a black widow isn't all that common. I've never seen a black widow or a brown recluse, but I have heard recluse spiders are much worse. I also don't think it's too often that snake venom kills. I know it happens, but usually the amount released by most snakes and other poisonous/venomous creatures is usually meant to kill much smaller prey. The only times I have heard about deadly situations with black widows was concerning a young boy. I have also heard that they pose a threat to the elderly.

Anyways, I love looking at spiders, but i hate the thought of them crawling on me. Ewwww...

Well,

For you people who say you are pro spiders, you arent if you kill a Widow,lol. You cant pick and choose.

I think the problem with some people is that they look at the bad side of things. I dont kill spiders, venomous or not, because they play a vital role in our ecosystem. That little lady right there will help keep down your insect population, but if you squish her, she most definitely will not.

Saying that, I wouldnt keep it as a pet. Not because I would be afraid of it, but because I really dont like keeping Wild Caught animals. If you dont know what you are doing, the risk of being bitten goes up a whole lot as well. Best to take it far off, find a something to put her under like a piece of wood, and let her be.

Last edited:

I am responding again because I don't have to click on page 1 again.

I worked with some one that got bit by a brown recluse It was on his face.
He hit at it when it bit him and it bit him again he was swatting at it and it moved fast biting him on the face and neck a total of 4 times.

The first bite left a hole the size of a 50 cent peice and deep rotting flesh. each of the other bites were not as bad but they still left huge sore pits. He was misserable..

This was in 1986 I don't know if they have a better treatment now to prevent that mess. I SURE HOPE SO.

I will never forget it as log as I live.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I like having spiders around for the most part. They're helpful with bug control. I draw the line at Black Widows and nasty nasty Brown Recluse.

Get a shoe.

Back
Top Bottom