anyone know of a bird vet in NH?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie'sMoma, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i am wondering if there is a vet that may treat birds in NH, especially chicken? if anyone knows this could you please give me their contact name, phone number and a possible location?

i know my pet vet wasn't very helpful the last time i was there and mentioned i had chickens and was curious if they knew of any vets that specialized in birds or would treat them at a regular vet practice, since mine did not do birds.

thanks to anyone who can help me with this!

2. siz8003

siz8003 Songster

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    The only one I know of is in Nashua and is expensive.Good luck

3. tulie13

tulie13 Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    There's a post somewhere on this board that lists local vets who will treat chickens. You may see if you can find that. However, if you can't find a vet, maybe the BYC forum can help. Are you having a problem with a sick or injured bird? There are lots of experienced people on here, maybe we can help?

Here's the post that lists avian vets, but I don't see any in NH. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=200108

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i just want the number in case it is needed. i've seen this vet's listing for tropical birds and i figured they would be expensive.

i think i know what is wrong with my ee pullet-egg bound and i'm working on some solutions with her already.

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    thanks for that link.

i may have to call the place in Topsfield, Ma, they are actually quicker to get to than Nashua, NH for me.

6. kimb

kimb Songster

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
  7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    thanks. i've seen that site before but i don't remember seeing that link to the vets. there's one in Portsmouth, NH that is even better! i just hope it's not the emergency vet my parents have used on occasion. they are EXPENSIVE!!! [​IMG]

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    I take my birds (exotic and chicken) to Dr. Dutton at the Weare Animal Hospital in Weare, NH 603-481-8844. Very clean office, nice professional staff and no funky smells.

He is very kind and thorough.

When I first moved here I brought my animals to Fisherville Animal Hospital (specialize in birds) but didn't like it there too much.

9. france

france Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    My vet Dr. Sula at Blackwater Veterinary in Salisbury owns chickens. You can always try giving her a call. I use her for horses, dogs & cats. We have not had a chicken issue yet but this is our first year with the chickens.

10. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    my first year with chickens as well. but i had birds as a kid and i remembered many years back that there was a vet in Northwood, NH that specialized in birds and reptiles. but they have since moved away to somewhere else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by