Anyone know this peafowl breeder?

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
I am not on Facebook but still I happened across the page of a peafowl breeder on Facebook called Read Mountain Peafowl. They have some very nice looking green peafowl. I tried emailing them several months ago to ask them some questions and say hello but I have not gotten a reply back. They may just not check their email or something. Has anyone visited them before? It looks like they have a nice setup.

I just wanted to share them with everyone because I thought they have some nice photos of their birds and I also was wondering if anyone knows them.
smile.png

Oh also I was looking over their page and it turns out they let out some of their more tame green peafowl so that they can roam around for a bit and then they herd them back into the pen! I thought that was very interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Read-Mountain-Peafowl/299476123405814

Last edited:
It is Kelly Josef Wheelbarger.
He has birds from Rodney Michael and offspring from imports of Wolfgang Mennig’s stock which he put together for breeding.
It is right some birds he let out from time to time. He told me he has some trusty birds where he can take the risk. But I would not recommend doing this in all cases.
Soon or later you will miss a bird. As long as nothing happen it works but, if a dog or anything else are frighten them they can fly away and will not find back. It is a risk and you have to know what you are doing.

I checked his page out before and he has some nice looking greens. I did e-mail him and he replied fairly quickly.

Yeah that metal is to keep him from feather picking probably. Haha Zazouse a gold one would look nice on him!
lol.png

I let Peep and one of my smart yearling males out sometimes. Peep is very tame but he always jumps on top of the tarp covering the smaller pen area and I always have trouble getting him down so I don't always like letting him out because of that. A lot of times he will follow me around outside so that is nice. The yearling male I let out because all he does is stand near the door and eat grass and other plants and then if the door is left slightly open he will squeeze back into the pen when he is done. He is very good about going back inside. If I had green peafowl I would be afraid to let them out, but it is just cool to see that someone does it every now and then.

I contacted Read Mountain Peafowl about their birds....
he had said it was to help prevent feather picking (the guard on/in his nose)
but they no longer practice that....

can anyone tell me why his birds don't have little "knobs" on the end of their head crest??
my IB does...? thought they all did??

These are green peafowl and that is why they do not have a knob on the end of their head crest...I knew this page I made would come in handy soon...Check out my website page about Green Peafowl Vs. India Blue peafowl and it should help you out some.
wink.png
http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Green Peafowl Vs. India blue.html

Yoda I noticed that they bought a peacock from Rocking BAB Ranch, and they are much closer to me. The only thing I am worried about is buying chicks or young green peafowl for breeding and then find out that they are closely related or brother and sister.

Back
Top Bottom