Anyone know what kind of chicken I have?

He's a cutie
smile.png

You don't have to seperate them...you will only get chicks if he fertilizes the egg, and a hen is allowed to set (broody) on the eggs for 21 days. Otherwise, he may mate with the girls, and you can still eat the eggs they lay.
smile.png

Quote:
Menifee. Have you heard of it? and where are you located?

I just moved from Menifee to behind Skinner about 20 minutes away. We were across from the college for years and it got way too built up and I had to leave. I thought you were close when I read about the feed shop you bought your chicks from. Was it W.W. feed? I have some e.e. from the same batch. I bought 3 buff orpingtons pullets and one ended up being a cockerel. Errrr. Anyways, glad to meet someone local. I have 50 chicks coming in and a bator full. I can't keep everything so if you want more, I would be happy to share!

Quote:
Menifee. Have you heard of it? and where are you located?

I just moved from Menifee to behind Skinner about 20 minutes away. We were across from the college for years and it got way too built up and I had to leave. I thought you were close when I read about the feed shop you bought your chicks from. Was it W.W. feed? I have some e.e. from the same batch. I bought 3 buff orpingtons pullets and one ended up being a cockerel. Errrr. Anyways, glad to meet someone local. I have 50 chicks coming in and a bator full. I can't keep everything so if you want more, I would be happy to share!

HA HA! Five years ago we too lived in Menifee Lakes. Our backyard faced the JR College on La Peidra. We too wanted out of there because of the growth. Right after we moved they built the apartments. We got out just in time! Anyways we are still local to there. We moved south of Menifee lakes.

I got my chicks from Kahoots in Murrieta. My favorite feed store. I guess because they all know me down there makes it feel like home. Thanks for the offer of more chicks but Ive got my hands full. This is our first time ever having chickens. Thanks again for the generous offer!

Quote:
Ok im a bit confused. If I get the eggs out immediately then I dont have to worry about babies..am i understanding that correctly? My fear is to crack open an egg and embryo fall out. YIKES!!!

A hen has to be broody in order for chicks to develope/hatch. That means she will sit on the nest non-stop all day/night until the eggs hatch(21 days after she started sitting). If you don't have a broody hen you can leave the eggs in the nest for days without having to worry about chicks developing in them(although some hens take it as an invite to go broody when eggs are collecting in a nest box for a few days).

If you do have a broody with your main flock but don't want to hatch any chicks or have any embryos in the eggs then just don't leave any eggs under her for more then 24hrs, otherwise something will start to develope.

Quote:
Hi Nancy,

I called my local feedstore and they said they order form 2 different hatcheries. So my handsome Roo either came from Belt hatchery in Northern Ca or Privet Hatchery in New Mexico. Good luck. I was told he is an Amerucana when I purchase him.
tongue.png

Hi Menifee Residents- I was so excited to see you guys post! I didn't know anyone from around here. Actually , I used to live in Menifee, now I live in MIRA LOMA. It is about 45 mins from Menifee. I hope to be moving back to Menifee soon. Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi and good luck wuth your chickens.~ Tacey

It could be an Americauna as they have gray-blue feet. I have never seen one that color but I don't think there are any rules when it comes to color. Whatever she is, she's pretty!

Back
Top Bottom