Anyone let their Silkies free range with the flock?

branston

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Virginia
I have 6 Silkies, 1 being a roo, in a coop and run, a flock of 11 free ranging and 9 teenagers waiting to join the big flock. I have two roosters in the main flock which get along just fine, however, it turns out that one of my two RIRs is also definitely a roo. He seems to be doing okay, but now I think my other RIR could also be a roo! This one hasn't crowed as yet but it has very red wattles and comb although not as large ar the other RIR. I love all my chickens and really don't want to have to part with my RIRs' but I'm beginning to think I may have to.
I would love to let my Silkies free range with the flock but they are so much smaller than the main flock and with my 3/4 roos I'm worried about attacks?

I did and I figured out they are the first to get killed. Since they are the kids chickens and thought of as pets they are now in lockdown and I am guessing will stay that way. They are just too easy to snack on!

I have two Silkie roos in a flock of 9 hens. They all free-range together, have lots of places to hide, and seem to know when to lay low (knock on wood). I'd feel too bad about leaving the Silkies in the run when everybody else is out having a good time every day. Having a free-range flock, I know I take my chances but the good outweighs the bad.

i only have one silkie, a roo. he runs the yard with the rest of my mixed flock. my big roo , a speckled sussex runs from him. he has no game and can't dance well enough for my gals. he goes in the hen house at night with the rest of the flock.

Mine free range with the larger birds. They are hatchery stock so the boys don't have good poofs but that let's them do their job. They can see quite well and warn about hawks. The two silkie girls are always by at least one of the boys since they can't see well.

Back
Top Bottom