Anyone not have problems with Mites and Lice?

Quote:
I'd argue that one. I've had birds for 6 yrs and never had lice or mites. I inspect whenever I pick any of them up and whenever I butcher I check through the feathers really closely. A breeder we know get mites periodically, but his husbandry practices are lacking. I don't get adult birds from him.

My grandfather raised meat birds and his only treatment was wood ashes in thier dust bathing areas. He had some serious bug phobias and would have freaked if they'd gotten anything. A lot depends on the climate you live in and your housing set up.

x2

I know its normal but its also preventable. I would like for someone to show me either one on any bird I have
wink.png

I am a hardcore preventative type person and have way to many to be playing games.
And wood ash does alot more than people know
smile.png

I use wood stoves to heat the house...could you tell me how to use that ash? I would LOVE to try it!

we put wood ash and de in a place where they can dust bathe, clean the coop periodically, and paint their roosting poles with burnt motor oil. no mites or lice here.

Quote:
The type of lice that chickens and other birds can get is a completely different type from the kind that people get (*shudder* - I remember having those once in elementary school). Chicken lice can't survive on people, so you don't need to worry about your kids getting infested with lice from your birds, no matter what the old wives tales tell you.

Last edited:
Sevin and pine straw in the coop , pine straw is a natural repellent . Sevin dust the birds . Throw some around inside and outside the coop . I use permethrin as a dip ONLY . Do not let them get a drink from that dip pan or tub with the permethrin in it . Pine straw in the nest boxes will keep them little bugs out too .

They come in on wild birds and mice- not much can be done about that. It's not a sign of uncleanliness. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean you don't have them either. They are very hard to see even when looking. You won't just happen to notice unless they are bad. Having to treat for lice or mites is not evidence of poorly taken care of birds.

Most of my hens have picked the far end of my driveway to dust bathe (or as my son puts it.... dig a hole to China) and for the last three years or so, I've dumped the ash from the wood stove out there on the advice of "old chicken rancher"..... Long story short... no Lice or Mites here....
So I'd agree with the previous posters.... It must help

None here. I found two mites on a hen once, a couple of years ago. Immediately treated the flock and the coop. Haven't seen one since and I do check weekly.

Back
Top Bottom