anyone notice a difference in the taste of eggs?

WarrenHound

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
texas
putting some chicken eggs in the incubator soon and debating what will go in the incubator next, i know some guys that would sell me hatching eggs but i was reading up on the eggs and was told there is a difference in the texture and flavor of a duck and chicken egg in comparison of a goose egg?

i have had ducks and chickens and had their eggs but never a goose egg wondering if its a good idea to get more geese for the eggs. i only have 2 young geese currently an african and a pomeranian not laying yet they make great pets i might do it anyway but curious about this stuff about taste and texture.

thanks,
warren

Warren, geese have a very limited laying season. So to get geese for eggs would be a costly investment. Since most geese lay every other to every three days for just a couple of months.

thanks did not know that as the two i bought were just pets .
smile.png

i've only tasted one goose egg. Of our two female one-year-old geese, one of them laid two eggs this season. i mixed it in with duck and chicken eggs for scrambled eggs. It didn't look as rich as a duck egg, more like a big chicken egg in texture. As Celtic said, you will not be happy getting geese just for eggs. But between our chickens and ducks. we are drowning in eggs. Can't give them away fast enough.

My goose (White Italian, looks like an Embden) has laid 43 eggs so far since January 3rd. Most recent egg was yesterday. She's spending more and more time on her nest, so I guess she's getting ready to go broody and stop laying soon.

The average weight of each egg has been about 6 1/2 oz., which equals circa 3 regular chicken eggs. That means she has laid the equivalent of 129 chicken eggs during these five months.

I take away the eggs as soon as I find them and use them for cooking and baking. I can't tell any difference in taste between my goose eggs and store-bought organic chicken eggs. The egg white from the goose eggs has much higher viscosity and is more watery clear in color than one from a chicken egg.

Chicken eggs are usually one third yolk and two thirds white, but when I've separated goose eggs they were about half and half. I don't always measure the yolk-to-white ratio in the goose eggs, so I'm not entirely sure if that's a general rule.

I've never tasted duck eggs so I have no idea what they're like.

Back
Top Bottom