Anyone on a low budget X-mas this year?

Quote:
I am so sorry for the loss of your sister, I know that must be hard.
hugs.gif
I think that what you are doing in her name is very special. I admire you for volunteering at local
food kitchens, more people need to get involved in helping other who are less fortunate.

we are scaling back too. our income is 9k less than last year, however we have been doing better keeping our spending down. amazingly we have been able to save $$ this year.

Quote:
Wow! that is a great idea! I have always wanted to make soap, is it hard? You are right it is a gift that can be very useful.

How expensive is it to make soap??

Making soap isn't very expensive. It is a lot like cooking, so if you can cook, you'd be all set! A scale that measures in grams and has a tare function is critical, and that costs about 20$.

I keep a set of stirring utensils, a pot, and containers to measure oils, fragrance oils, and lye in that are kept totally separate from normal kitchen utensils. I got everything cheaply at walmart and have them clearly labeled. Mixing cooking supplies with soaping stuff that involves lye is a safety measure, as is keeping a gallon of vinegar on hand at all times during soapmaking. But you don't need to buy fancy molds or whatnot, you can use a plastic wrap lined cardboard box, or an emptied out pringles tube (makes a perfect size bar of perfectly round soap, a 1.75lb batch fills up a big pringles tube to the top!).

I'd suggest doing some research before jumping into it. But once you try homemade soap, going back to store bought is impossible, haha.

We would be on a rather low budget. But we got lucky this year and got accepted into the "heroes at home" program by Sears. Really greatful for that. THANK YOU AMERICA!!!!!

I am making wreaths similar to the top one for my MIL and grandma: http://go.tipjunkie.com/hm/1384/teachcraftlove.blogspot.com/2010/06/front-door-wreaths_22.html
I ran to Michaels today and picked up the stuff. Including a nice wreath hanger, I'll spend about $25.00 on each wreath. I was fortunate and found some very nice flowers on clearance (70% off), but they always have flowers for 50-60% off and sometimes you can combine with a coupon for further savings.

I am also making this lap desk for my oldest from Santa: http://go.tipjunkie.com/hm/1275/brassyapple.blogspot.com/2011/08/lap-desk-tutorial-pleased-as-punch.html
My
hubby has some nice oak plywood for the top, which I'll paint, add some polka dots, and put her name on. I have some fabric that I bought awhile ago and hadn't found a use for it. So I hid it away until I figured out what to make for her with it. It will work perfect for this. I have been eyeing these lap desks in the stores, but they are chincy and made in China. I was so excited when I found this tutorial! She'll love it! Since I have most of the stuff already, it will cost me very little to do. I have to buy the paint to paint it. That's it!

Quote:
Wow! that is a great idea! I have always wanted to make soap, is it hard? You are right it is a gift that can be very useful.

How expensive is it to make soap??

Making soap isn't very expensive. It is a lot like cooking, so if you can cook, you'd be all set! A scale that measures in grams and has a tare function is critical, and that costs about 20$.

I keep a set of stirring utensils, a pot, and containers to measure oils, fragrance oils, and lye in that are kept totally separate from normal kitchen utensils. I got everything cheaply at walmart and have them clearly labeled. Mixing cooking supplies with soaping stuff that involves lye is a safety measure, as is keeping a gallon of vinegar on hand at all times during soapmaking. But you don't need to buy fancy molds or whatnot, you can use a plastic wrap lined cardboard box, or an emptied out pringles tube (makes a perfect size bar of perfectly round soap, a 1.75lb batch fills up a big pringles tube to the top!).

I'd suggest doing some research before jumping into it. But once you try homemade soap, going back to store bought is impossible, haha.

Wow! that sounds awesome. Tell me, what is lye and where do you get it? Just wondering. Do you use a specific recipe or just make your own as you go?

Quote:
I like that idea, I think that would help a lot of people. The winter is hard for a lot of people because it costs so much to just
keep the house warm sometimes. With fuel prices going up it gets harder and harder to keep the place warm. I know that is out situation
anyway.

Yeah part of my problem to. Also alot of family medical issues. But here in florida its just right to have the windows open all day and not freeze or become to hot so that is saving money for some right now.

Back
Top Bottom