Anyone on a low budget X-mas this year?

A couple of years ago our family decided it would be best to draw names for the adults "$20.00 limit" and everyone just buy a small gift for each of the kids.
It is working out so far, but every year there has been a new baby added. Next year there will be 2.
Also my kids are 22 and 18 and they don't want to ever be eliminated.............tuff luck...........grow up.........

You know as I read through this thread, I think I will make some gifts. Somes making them are as expensive though. But they do seem to like my stuff.....Hmmm....

Quote:

Quote:
I like that idea, I think that would help a lot of people. The winter is hard for a lot of people because it costs so much to just
keep the house warm sometimes. With fuel prices going up it gets harder and harder to keep the place warm. I know that is out situation
anyway.

Quote:
Yea, I guess I should have titled the treat that. Seems like everyone is on a tight budget this year. But sometimes the lean times make
the most memorable Christmas when looking back. I know that our totally broke christmases have all been the best of times.

Quote:
LOL
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
yeah that'd be us too.
every dollar is going into getting my livestock and my hubby moved from CA to MO... so if I've got my sheep and goats and horses... and especially my hubby... here, THAT'll be christmas, regardless of the date!
love.gif

Hey guys! We don't go all out on Christmas gifts -- as in waste a bunch of money just because that's what the rest of the world does. Christmas, to us, is not all about the gifts, so we don't go crazy. We do Santa for the kids (again not all out crazy), gifts for the parents, grandparents, teachers/bus driver, and for the hubby and myself. I don't want my kids to have an expectation for an overindulgence in gifts. Usually, for the adults it is a useful item or something that is special. I make some gifts, buy on Etsy, or buy American made gifts. And we always do something for a needy family or children -- make it a family affair. I'd rather spend money on someone in need than on frivilous things that our family does not need. I think we generally spend about $500.00 on our family/extended family. Then spend another $150-$200 on a needy family or a few needy children.

For those who are interested in do it yourself ideas, here's some websites:

http://homemade.tipjunkie.com/ -- love this one! Scroll down to the bottom to find a category.

www.chickensintheroad.com -- she has some ideas for baking, canning, and crafting. Click on her cooking, crafting, or gardening archives at the top right of the page.

www.tammysrecipes.com -- she has some canning recipes (salsa is awesome!) and recipes for making pepperoni, salami (I think), or bologna (and not at all like what we think of as bologna).

If crafting or sewing sign up at JoAnn's or Michaels to receive coupons. On the Michaels website, I think you can just print coupons without having to sign up.

Last edited:
My sister and I started donating to a favorite non-profit organization in each others' names for Christmas, several years ago. She died in late October, 2009. I still donate to Best Friends in Utah in her name. I was her beneficiary for her life insurance and IRA, so SHE bought my house for me this Spring. I miss her very much.

I could blow more of my inheritance on gifts for my friends, but I am going to try to be sensible and resist that impulse.

Now that I live in an entirely different community, smaller, rural, and certainly populated with not very affluent families, I am going to look for a local food kitchen where I can volunteer serving meals on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom