Anyone on day 18-We've got chicks and PICS! pg 3

Wife and children woke me up this afternoon and said that one chick was out of the shell and others were pipped. So far we only have one out and about. There are approx 7 other eggs that have a prominent pip on them. I also went ahead opened up the other air vent on the bator.

047.jpg

049.jpg

This is my first attempt at hatching chicks so I was pretty excited when all the "fuzz butts" finally came out. We had 12 eggs overall to start, lost one to infertility and now have 11 eleven chicks in the brooder. I'm thinking they may be too cold so I might need a bigger light bulb (more than the 100 watt I have now?) Also a question, I'm sure I could use the search function but I'm at that point where I need to go to sleep before I fall over... Are the chicks eventually going to drink the water and eat the food that I set in there for them? Do they generally wait until after the yolk absorption before they do the food "thing"?

Chickens005-1.jpg

Here they are. Day 22

Chickens005.jpg

Here's another shot.

Chickens006-1.jpg

And the final shot with more of the brooder in the pic.

If anything looks weird in these pictures let me know as I'm new to this.

Thanks

If the chicks are hovering under the light, you may need to put in a true warming bulb instead of a 100 watt. Also, if they're cold, they won't go to the other end of the brooder to get the food and water.

I have read that you sometimes have to stick their beaks in the water to get them going...something about leading a chick to water...
wink.png

The chicks are good to go. They've since gone out and about in the brooder. All of them seem healthy and have started putting on feathers. They are growing fast, I guess I have to get to work on the coop. Thanks for the input folks.

Back
Top Bottom