Anyone On Here Keep or Breed Bettas??? *Pics Welcome* Betta Thread

The Wolf Queen

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Ive had bettas on & off the past couple of years and after a while without them I got 4 this week. 2 males (both are deltatails) & 2 females (a veiltail & a crowntail). I'm starting this thread so my fellow betta keepers can post pics & talk about their bettas in general. I will post pics on this post of my 4 as soon as I can. To betta breeders on here, do you have any advice for me? 2 of the bettas I have are a really nice shade of purple with small dark spots on their fins (haven't learned the color terms yet) & I'm thinking of breeding them when the female gets a little larger. Ive done my research on breeding them but I also wanna hear what you all have to say
smile.png

If you're thinking about breeding, you should check out daphnia as a food source, in addition to baby brine shrimp and the various tiny worms. It's a primary food source for the breeders in Thailand. They're cultured in fresh water and don't foul the water if not eaten by the fish right away. They also have much more nutritious powdered foods for babies now. Aquabid has live food cultures up for sale/auction, as well as fish, equipment and dry food.

Quote:
Ive bought frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. Ive heard brine shrimp are the best thing to feed fry. I havent seen live ones at any of the petstores though and ive heard that live is better
sad.png
. Ive seen dried Daphnia but havent seen it frozen or live either. Are there any stores you recomend that arent online? Right now everyday I feed my fish the frozen brine shrimp & bloodworms along with Aqueon Betta Food. I feed one item each feeding a few times a day. I know a lot of people only feed their fish once a day or less but im monitoring how much they eat and ive also read that your supposed to feed them multiple times daily. Not sure if thats just for breeders or pets as well.

I bred for a while, don't any more because of more then week long power loss in the winter and heat waves in the summer. I live way out in the boonies and the only alternative is adding central air and getting more generators..... not gonna happen. bettas are very hardy fish. but massive temp flux will do most any fish in- weaken them and leave them very vulnerable to any simple illness or stress.

for my babies i got a canister of brine shrimp eggs and hatched out fresh daily. i dont want to sound cruel, but betta fry are so tiny that only the biggest and healthiest fry can catch and eat live brine shrimp as newborns. by feeding only bbs (baby brine shrimp) i ensured only the strongest and healthiest fry survived. instead of 200+ bettas of all different sizes, I would get between 20-50 very large healthy bettas.

I never made it past the egg stage- my dad fish would freak out and eat the eggs. Ugh, made me so mad. I love my betta fish, but I just have one these days (his name is "coffee breath" and he technically belongs to my daughter). My favorite betta fish was orange- a color I've never seen since.

my fav male mustard gas half moon
mcgyverandprincess2.jpg

my fav girl marble gene- princess
colorchange3.jpg

mom of princess
princessmgw.jpg

some of the boys, left was a wild multicolor hm right was a green over half moon
greenmale1.jpg

female mustard gas half moon, never bred quite the crazy nasty little thing
mgfavsmall.png

Speaking of breeding.. is there an age that beta's can't breed well?
I have always heard that the betas you buy in the stores are too old...
Just wondering.
I have inherited a pair of boys, and would love to breed at least one.
Thanks
Carol

Oh my gosh! I love your females! and the males. I
love.gif
Princess's mom!!
love.gif
love.gif

All I've seen here are the regular tails in male and female and then the crowntails in only male.

I'll see if i have some pics of my boys and girls.
Heres a few of my boys:
16241_img_0534.jpg

16241_img_0539.jpg

16241_img_0541_1.jpg

Last edited:
babyblue where can I buy brine shrimp eggs and how do you hatch and feed them and stuff? I LOVE your mustard gas pair especially the female
love.gif
. Its a pity you never bred her
sad.png

Attack Shicken I love the crowntail in the 2nd pic
smile.png

In general, Where do you buy live shrimp & worms? Where can I buy live and frozen Daphnia and their eggs?

Back
Top Bottom