Anyone On Here Keep or Breed Bettas??? *Pics Welcome* Betta Thread

Wow, I never knew!
smile.png

Lisa
Quote:

Yeah I've had scuffles before with them. If I intro a new girl I cahnge their tank differently to were it's all new and then release them all into it. The White and blue girl actually only has one side fin because of a tussel but she's fine now the other ones that got her passed sadly. If they end up fighting i put the one their trying to get into a clear container in there so they get used to her. Hasn't failed yet!

I'll try and get better pics of them soon. Their so friendly!

A starter culture is usually a small quantity of a living entity, that you can grow more from. A starter culture for fish food may be a type of worm or daphnia. For people food, it might be yogurt that has the living bacteria in it or a bit of raw sourdough, that contains live yeast, flour and water, for making bread. It's some type of thing that is alive and will reproduce for you, if given the right food and environment.

TY
smile.png
. So far none of the stores ive been to carry starter cultures or eggs though I did find frozen Daphnia and frozen BBS. Ill just have to keep looking. Now to collect 100+ jars xD. This oughta be fun. Good thing Jo Ann's arts and crafts is having a 50% off on glassware and I only have to pay .50 a jar
smile.png

dont do that, try craigs list and ask for jars. heck if you lived close id dump a whole lot of equipment on you lol

breeder overseas use like half that size. however they do constant water changes and many commercial breeders use growth hormones in the food, which is a really crappy practice. using the growth hormones a betta that could with excellent care live to 4-5 may live 1-2 years. stress shipping and small homes all shorten a bettas life span. a home breed betta from good stock, never stressed and always in good condition can live a loooonnnggg time. one of my friends bettas is 6+ at this point.

anyways the bigger the jar the better, you can use canning jars but bettas give off a sort of anti growth hormone, to make its siblings smaller and cut out competition. to get your babies to grow healthy very frequent water changes are crucial.

what I also used was whatever jugs/jars I could find, glass was best, but if I had a huge spawn I didnt hesitate to use really well cleaned one gallon water jugs. Id cut the top in a circle, leaving about and inch before I cut it totally off to act as a hinge like lid. I got good at judging size and health from looking down and the opaque plastic also cut down on the stress of the boys seeing each other constantly and flairing constantly.

also big question, how do you plan on heating the jars? unless you live in a very warm climate they need to be kept warm some how or else can get stressed and die or else the cool water will make them grow extremely slow and can even stunt their growth. what i did was for a small spawn was use a large reptile heat mat under the jars, you need to set everything up and check the temp in the jars for a few days, you may have to use a mat or two between the jar and the heat mat, but with a little patience you can get a very even temp this way. if you end up with a huge spawn the easiest way is to heat a closet or a very small room, like a spare bathroom with the safest heater you can find. an oil filled radiator type heater is what I used because even in the closet (mine was large and not cramped) it wont catch fire if something falls on it, it has many temp and time settings and mine is adjustable to go on and off to keep an area a certain temp.

go ahead and post in the wanted section, thats how quite literally I got all my betta stuff. I really do wish you lived closer. my sister and I no longer breed and have been trying to get rid of everything.

My house is older so all but maybe 3 of the rooms are quite small and I hate cold so I keep portable heaters in every room
lol.png
. Ill probably set up shelfs of some sort in my room cuz along with being the 2nd smallest room in the house next to the bathrooms, and the closets it has an old fashioned heater installed and that keeps my room nice & toasty and occasionally too hot for even me
big_smile.png
. I wish you lived closer to. Where do you live anyway?

Back
Top Bottom