Anyone purchased silkies from Alabama Silkies?

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I have not purchased from them.. but have driven far for birds. I wouldn't probably drive that far for straight run chicks. But if you are getting started birds with gender identified, could be worth it.

I would also consider ordering from this person if hatching is an option for you..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/purebred-silkie-hatching-eggs.1201818/

People don't realize their are more than one type of Silkie. I prefer bearded by far. They are lovely birds, I hope you get some good ones! :love

I know this is a old post, but just incase somebody comes across it like me I'd like to say that I bought 5 from them. Beautiful babies, all 2 years old now. All healthy and happy. Will be buying more again

I know this is a old post, but just incase somebody comes across it like me I'd like to say that I bought 5 from them. Beautiful babies, all 2 years old now. All healthy and happy. Will be buying more again
It seems like a lot of people have a great experience as long as they buy chicks or eggs from them. However, I bought a laying hen and a non laying hen and was given a rooster to go with each hen. The non laying hen became egg bound after only 9 days and later died. All birds were infested with lice and had to be treated. None of the 3 survivors have ever figured out how to mate, forage, dust bathe, or even jump up onto a perch. They essentially do not seem to know how to be chickens. We replaced the lost hen with a young silkie hen given to us by a local neighbor and she perches, dust bathes, forages, and rules the roost. So I don't know how they were raised, but, in my book, that's not normal.

It seems like a lot of people have a great experience as long as they buy chicks or eggs from them. However, I bought a laying hen and a non laying hen and was given a rooster to go with each hen. The non laying hen became egg bound after only 9 days and later died. All birds were infested with lice and had to be treated. None of the 3 survivors have ever figured out how to mate, forage, dust bathe, or even jump up onto a perch. They essentially do not seem to know how to be chickens. We replaced the lost hen with a young silkie hen given to us by a local neighbor and she perches, dust bathes, forages, and rules the roost. So I don't know how they were raised, but, in my book, that's not normal.
I purchased 10 chicks from Alabama Silkies and they are beautiful and have good temperaments, I am planning to show 2 of them, and breed a few of them, they are great quality silkies. I will say that when I went in the sunroom on the front of their house there were literally about 100 grow-outs in cages. No wonder they didn't know how to "chicken". It looked to me as if they keep them in cages for their entire lives on the ones they keep to sell as juveniles/adults. I would NOT buy an adult from them based on what I saw the only human contact they get is when they clean out their cages and feed/water them. I have just started breeding and have collected silkies from all over the southeast from VERY reputable breeders that show and breed to the SOP in order to start the breeding stock for my flock. I am located in Piedmont, AL, just north of Alabama Silkies and I breed several different colors including partridge, mille fleur, cuckoo, grey, paint and black. I also breed Great Danes, so I am called Twin Willows Great Danes and Silkies on Facebook. There are links on my FB page to all of my social media. My number is 706-639-6468 if anyone wants to text me to see what I have. I plan to raise chicks, growouts and sell eggs in the future. The next year should be promising.

Back
Top Bottom