Anyone purchased silkies from Alabama Silkies?

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I have not purchased from them.. but have driven far for birds. I wouldn't probably drive that far for straight run chicks. But if you are getting started birds with gender identified, could be worth it.

I would also consider ordering from this person if hatching is an option for you..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/purebred-silkie-hatching-eggs.1201818/

People don't realize their are more than one type of Silkie. I prefer bearded by far. They are lovely birds, I hope you get some good ones! :love

I know this is a old post, but just incase somebody comes across it like me I'd like to say that I bought 5 from them. Beautiful babies, all 2 years old now. All healthy and happy. Will be buying more again

I know this is a old post, but just incase somebody comes across it like me I'd like to say that I bought 5 from them. Beautiful babies, all 2 years old now. All healthy and happy. Will be buying more again
It seems like a lot of people have a great experience as long as they buy chicks or eggs from them. However, I bought a laying hen and a non laying hen and was given a rooster to go with each hen. The non laying hen became egg bound after only 9 days and later died. All birds were infested with lice and had to be treated. None of the 3 survivors have ever figured out how to mate, forage, dust bathe, or even jump up onto a perch. They essentially do not seem to know how to be chickens. We replaced the lost hen with a young silkie hen given to us by a local neighbor and she perches, dust bathes, forages, and rules the roost. So I don't know how they were raised, but, in my book, that's not normal.

Back
Top Bottom