Anyone see hatchery eggs hatched on "How's It Made"?

country lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
NW Tennessee
Boy, the new chicks sure aren't handled with kid gloves, tossed, and dropped on the assembly line. And we thought our three day old chicks were delicate! It is an interesting show for kids.

Last edited:
I saw it and thought the rough handling of the chicks was totally unnecessary. The worst part was when the sexers just threw the chicks (really hard) down a shaft to the conveyor belt. Makes me want to buy from the smaller hatcheries!

Kathy in Texas
www.CountryChickens.com

I saw it, Didnt like it. It was informative though. Did you notice they didnt use the background noises of the hatchery? The workers had noise reducing headphones on. I think the chicks were handled roughly, and those conveyer belts with rollers ....OMG.

Holy chickens! I could not believe how they are handled! I wouldn't even let my kids, who are the "GENTLE" type, hold our bantams when we first got them. Also, I never heard of sexing chicks by their wing feathers. Is that only with certain breeds?

Quote:
OMG that made me cringe and want to climb in the TV and smack those women for throwing the chicks around like that.
somad.gif

I didnt watch it,but in nature,they are actually a lot tougher then we give them credit for..have you ever watched a mom with new babies running around?..they trip and fall into holes and get into all kinds of things but are just fine..look at baby wood and mandarine ducks,the nest box is usually about 2 feet off the ground,they just come out and jump to the ground when momma calls,and arent any worse for it..not saying they couldnt handle them nicer,just saying they are tougher then a person would think..

Back
Top Bottom