anyone still use shortening or lard to fry food in?????

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
i use these 2 greases to fry everything, i personally thing it gives the item a good flavor, what do you use these 2 things for??

I am an olive oil junkie...but if you don't tell the cardiologist, I do save every drop of bacon grease.
wink.png

I think I would use lard if I were not genetically high in cholesterol already.
I did buy some a while back to make soap...but I chickened out because I am afraid of lye.
sad.png

I have a snickerdoodle recipe that calls for butter and lard. It is wonderful. I also have recipes for lard cakes and use it to make pie crust. It adds such a depth of flavor and I think once in a while is ok. I also make biscuits with it. I usually make snickerdoodles around the holidays and find other ways to use up the leftover lard.

My dad used to dip his toast in the bacon grease left in the pan instead of buttering it. He lived to be 90.

Snicker doodle recipe please.....I don't use much lard or shortening. I use for pie crust and biscuits but not that often.

I found it in the Farm Journal Cookbook. The smell as they bake is intoxicating.

Snickerdoodles

1/2 Cup Butter or Margerine
1/2 Cup Lard
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla
2 2/3 Cup sifted Flour
2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tTsp Salt
2 Tblsp Sugar
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon

Beat butter and lard until light; add 1 1/2 cups sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; add to beaten mixture. Combine 2 tblsp sugar and cinnamon. Shape dough into small balls, about 1 inch, and roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) for 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies will flatten during baking. Remove cookies and cool on racks. Makes about 6 dozen.

They are very crisp. Some people prefer their snickerdoodles soft. Enjoy!

I just made about 5 qt of my own lard. Did you know home made lard is actually good for you. Not the store bought stuff though, I don't remember what i read bout it but something they do to it makes it unhealthy No fat is good if used too much too often. If you've never had homemade lard you don't know what you're missing. Tastes a lot different than store bought.

I cook my pancakes in leftover bacon grease.

I think it mostly depends on where you live. Here in California using lard is pretty much unheard of. (except at the mexican restaurants). It's almost Taboo.
roll.png

Its good to see good ole' folks still cooking the old fashioned way!

I use olive oil,ghee, canola oil, and butter. I buy one of the TINY cans of shortening each year, but only because I have a "single" recipe that doesn't taste quite the same without using half butter, half shortening. I only make it a couple times a year.

I use olive oil for most things fried in a skillet, except for eggs. I use butter for eggs. Yum.
I use ghee for specific recipes.
I use canola oil for deep frying, and for any baking that I can.
I use butter for baking some cookies & other desserts that don't work well with oil.

No lard (vegetarian) and other than that one recipe a couple times a year, no shortening. I like my arteries to remain unclogged.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom