Anyone trained ducks with a dog training clicker?

Eroc1_1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
I was just curious if anyone has tried to 'train' your ducks with a dog training clicker? For commands like going to bed or such?

I trained mine with Peas. When it was be tim I called PEASand in they went wih the words. OK, Lets Go. now they are older, I just shout Ok, Lets go and they all line up waiting for the gate to be opened.

I had several wild ducks and other birds trained to recognize me by my whistle and not be nervous and even come up to me. However, I discovered at least one mockingbird that liked my whistle so much that it started to copy me. Now, I can't get the birds to come up to me anymore.

i've just got a clicker and target stick to train my drake he's already train to push a ball on command for treats im gonna see how far i can go with training as i truely believe they are more inteligent than people think

Joe & Nettie are currently clicker training their runners.

Well, now it's just, me, lol, but yes I use a clicker and a target stick. It's a bit more difficult with my ducks because they are spoiled, but they will "jump" to touch the stick, "Walk" to where the stick is, "Point" where the stick is, etc. My Ming Mei is super smart and already understands different colors (as seen in her ability to pick out her favorite colors for harnesses and toe nail polish), so I'm trying to clicker train her to point to different colors. She's a bit of a diva and if she's not hungry, treats don't really work. Victor tends to be a little too Food-obsessed to pay attention, lol. I keep working at it though.

i've just got a clicker and target stick to train my drake he's already train to push a ball on command for treats im gonna see how far i can go with training as i truely believe they are more inteligent than people think

That's awesome! I agree with the intelligence comment, and Welcome To BYC!

I say "duck duck" when I feed mine and they come running.. (or.. waddling, or flying...whatever they choose),
but other than that... My 3 human children are in training right now, so until that task is complete, I have no time for ducky training. LOL.

All I have to do is whistle and mine come running from all directions, but hey if you have the time of course go for it and then how about a video so we can see their acomplishments. and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom