Anyone tried this brooder concept?

Okay, since most are in agreement the plan I was contemplating is NOT the best plan for a small amount of chicks (around 10). What size tote/box would be best for that amount?
And how far off the ground do I place the heat lamp? I think my husband will just have to bite the bullet on not having the chicks in the house for the first order.. and we can experiment with outdoor/coop brooding in the future with chicks that aren't $60/each.

Adjust light according to temperature. Make sure to put the food and water on the cool side

I've never been able to bake cookies at 91.2º

Last edited:
Tote + heat lamp = oven. You have to be very careful not to overheat in a house. You want a big space with a small light. 100W, tops. Or, you could use something like EcoGlow if you want a prefab house "hen" or go to the mama heating pad section for DIY.
OK.. Plan B! ... if I use the eco glow brooder in a set-up like this, what environment would be safest; in the house-maybe basement storage room where we keep the pantry/extra supplies etc so it doesnt get TOO hot, (but also locked so the 6 kids and 3 dogs aren't getting too curious lol) or out in the garage/stable. I worry if it's in an out building in the summer it may overheat, and get to cool especially at night before summer.

Tote + heat lamp = oven. You have to be very careful not to overheat in a house. You want a big space with a small light. 100W, tops. Or, you could use something like EcoGlow if you want a prefab house "hen" or go to the mama heating pad section for DIY.

I'm agreeing with all this.
I would never use a tote. If you do i'd look for one at least 36" wide or better yet 48".
The other problem with totes i've seen on here is how fast the chicks outgrow them so i wouldnt be afraid to go too big with a tote.

Lazy Gardener what would you have in mind for a heating source other than the recommended bulbs with ceramic?
I don't know what they are called, but a guy had a post on here just a couple of days ago. It was a metal screw in heat emitter. It screws into a standard ceramic socket (don't use plastic) and are rated for x watts. But, they do not put out any light, only heat, and b/c only heat, they put out more heat than a same watt rated bulb. For safety, you'd need to have a wire shield over them.

Quote: I would do a MHP brooder (there is an article in the bottom of my signature. also, look for a thread by Blooie who authored the article. You can do MHP in the house, and move it out to the coop when ever you decide to move the chicks out. IMO, this is by far, THE BEST WAY TO BROOD CHICKS, no matter what the cost of them! PLEASE, do not use a heat lamp. Read about MHP and it's many benefits before you ever consider a heat lamp.

Hi ,
take a look at the sweeter heater. it will give you more square inches for your dollar . the famous poultry author Gail Damerow uses them in her brooders . if you look up : YouTube Gail Damrrow chick brooder : there's a video there illustrating it. it's a great little heater. it can be side mounted ,Top Mounted, or floor mounted.
HTTP://www.sweeterheater.com
Easy to clean and disinfect . really a nice piece of merchandise.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Ok the book is by Gail Damerow. Title: hatching and brooding your own chicks".
The you tube video is titled "custom brooders; Gail Damerow's Hatching and Brooding your Own Chicks". By Storey Publications. Published May 8th, 2013.
Gail used lights in her brooders before. then when she found the sweeter heaters , she put them in instead.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote:
That is neat.. Maybe I could hang it in one of the wire kennels our mastiffs grew out of lol

How about a suggestion from left field? Brood outdoors in your coop or run without any plastic tub or tote or "hover".

There isn't a plastic tote made that would be large enough for ten chicks after the first week and a half. If you rig up a safe pen in your coop, not sure if you mentioned an existing flock or not, you can give ten chicks tons of wonderful space they won't outgrow, and you can heat them economically and safely with the heating pad system. The purchase of a large, stay-on, heating pad is a fraction of the cost of these fancy heat plates such as the Brinsea. It simulates the natural brooding of a broody hen. Chicks feel secure and warm, grow up cold resistant, no danger of over heating as you would have with a heat lamp or that plywood hover thing you asked about in the beginning.

Scroll down to my signature line and click on my article about outdoor brooding to get an alternative view on brooding chicks, especially the small number you're planning.

Back
Top Bottom