Anyone use ac in their coop?

BorregoMike

Chirping
Jun 30, 2018
Before you think I am crazy, I live in the cal desert and we have already had our first 100 degree days. In June, July, August, 108 - 114 is a normal day. I am going to be gone for two months but I have someone to take care of the chickens. I want to make it as easy as I can for them. I have 24 hens and a 100 sqft coop, with roosting bars that give them all additional space. They have another 300 sq ft in a covered and shaded run.

A small 110 volt ac unit rated to cool a 150 sq ft room should keep the coop pretty cool. It has open ventilation, no insulation, but I’d put the av on a time to run in the hottest part of the day, maybe 12 hours a day. Should use. 450 watts/hour.

Electricity is expensive here but I think I can run it for about $65 a month for the three months it’s needed.

Any downside to this I am missing?

I have 8 each, black NJ Giant, Delaware’s, Buff Orpington, and one Black NJ Giant rooster.

I would think, the dust wouldn't be to good for it. I don't remember seeing anybody using A/C in the coop. I have seen a few that use fans though.

Look towards fans geared towards livestock and dust.
There are turbine style roof ventilators (they don't require power) that turn and pull hot air up and out. They turn due to rising heat in the coop or the wind outside. something like this:
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 10.24.08 AM.png

You can use a thermostat that will turn on a ventilation fan that is plugged into it - you can set it to turn on when the coop is above a certain temp.

Some people in very warm climates only have 2-3 side coops (with secure runs) for max ventilation - focussing on wind and rain protection.

Also, you may want to eventually switch to breeds that are not so heavily feathered. We have Black Jersey Giants (male and female), and they are big (overall) with a very thick covering of feathers and downy feathers - great for cold, but not so much for heat. I think BO and Delawares are pretty heavily feathered. Many in hot climates will tend towards Mediterranean breeds or naked necks.

Back
Top Bottom