Anyone use Barn Lime in their duck houses?

keeperofthehearth

Songster
12 Years
Nov 3, 2007
podunk... I mean Wabash, IN
I've used DE and Stall Dry in the chicken coop and duck houses but am not happy w/results in the duck house. Winter is upon us and I am not going to be changing out ALL the pine shavings every two weeks. The barn lime says it's non-caustic and is safe around all animals PLUS it's only $1.99 for 50lbs. It actually seems less dusty than DE. I bought some and raked it into the gravel in our carport after having 50+ Scovies spending a lot of time in there thru the summer. The carport gravel was pretty awful.
sickbyc.gif
It seems to have helped a lot in the carport and the Scovies still go in their and don't seem to be troubled by it. I thought I could rake up the shavings and throw in some barn lime then cover it up. Anyone use the stuff & what do you like or not like about it?

Sorry about the edit.... can't spell tonight.
tongue.png

Last edited:
we just started experimenting with a product similar to stall dry. It's called Sweet PDZ. Not sure if it's alike at all. We use it where the ducks poop the most (by the food of course) and haven't had an issue. It helps cut down on smell a lot, which is important when the ducks have their own bedroom in your house, lol.

Thanks nettie. I have used sweet PDZ also & though I liked it, it's hard to come by around here plus it is more costly. I've got about a dozen Scovies sleeping in each duck house so they poo a lot right where they settle down for the night. I was hoping to overwinter only about 7-10 ducks but that just isn't happening & our really cold weather hasn't hit yet. I can clean the area where they bed down more often but still need to keep the area drier and nicer smelling. Those silly ducks, without fail, WILL jump into their water bowls or baths 5 MIN. before they head for bed.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom