Anyone use garlic juice and essential oils for parasite prevention?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I tried this for a pup once that had mites causing a type of mange. It did not work at all. But neither did the Ivermectin! We ended up having to do sulfur baths. The poor girl smelled like a constant rotten egg fart. :sick

Now that was a particularly difficult case to get rid of. So MAYBE garlic would work... :confused:

I use permethrin which is safe, effective, efficient, and affordable. There are organic versions sold under names like Spinosad or Elector PSP for more $. They are all based on a chrysanthemum extract, just natural or synthetic. My original bottle was sold as "horse fly spray" and I bought it to keep mosquitoes off my goats only to discover it had many more benefits I could use for my dogs and chickens as well! For under $10 I have treated 60+ birds, 2 goats, 3 dogs, and the housing for 1.5 years and still have a good amount left. I love organic/natural if possible but when it comes to parasites I wouldn't mess around, personally. :old

I do not have mites. Not sure if this works, but...

I use mint extract, 1 ounce, 1 teaspoon dish soap, and 3 cups of water in a spray bottle.

I spray down the coop and walls whenever I see webs.

Seems to decrease the spider traffic. Most insects and spiders taste with their feet and do not appreciate mint.

To clarify above: Spinosad is an entirely different product than permethrin:

Spinosad is an insecticide based on chemical compounds found in the bacterial species Saccharopolyspora spinosa. ... Spinosad is relatively nonpolar and not easily dissolved in water. Spinosad is a novel mode-of-action insecticide derived from a family of natural products obtained by fermentation of S. spinosa. Elector PSP is a brand name of Spinosad.

Permethrin is a man made substitute for Pyrethrum

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/permethrin_pyrethrum.html

To clarify above: Spinosad is an entirely different product than permethrin:

Spinosad is an insecticide based on chemical compounds found in the bacterial species Saccharopolyspora spinosa. ... Spinosad is relatively nonpolar and not easily dissolved in water. Spinosad is a novel mode-of-action insecticide derived from a family of natural products obtained by fermentation of S. spinosa. Elector PSP is a brand name of Spinosad.

Permethrin is a man made substitute for Pyrethrum

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/permethrin_pyrethrum.html
Sounds like you are saying my understanding is incorrect..

I will look into that. Thank you!

You can read about anything in articles. There is money to be made in articles, either by selling column-inches or attracting viewers to blogs to attract advertisers. Or some people just like to write articles. That does not mean the article is incorrect, just that you are right to be a bit skeptical.

It is extremely difficult on a small scale to prove that something works as a preventative. You have to have a huge sample and run controls to get a proof. It’s easier to prove it as a treatment but that’s not your question. I do not use garlic, essential oils, vinegar with mother, DE, or anything else to prevent mites and my chickens have never had them. That may change today, I may have a problem. You could use any or all of those methods and never have a problem with mites. That really doesn’t prove anything. Even if you eventually do have mites how do you know that whatever you were doing didn’t prevent some infestations before a final failure or reduce the intensity? It’s a slippery slope saying something like that does or doesn’t work. You may able to tell I’m a bit skeptical but there are some pretty intelligent people out there that truly believe in much of this.

There is a tremendous amount of stuff like this out over the internet, mostly without any proof that will hold up to a true scientific study. They may or may not work, either partially or totally. In my opinion if you are willing to spend the money and don’t go overboard to the point you are poisoning your chickens with high dosages, go for it and see what happens. If it does nothing more than make you feel better for trying, well there is value in you feeling better. And it may really help.

I do believe there can be benefit of natural approaches as a deterrent. Would I depend on them in light of a mite or lice infestation? Nope. I'd reach for the sprinkle can. BUT, I would then follow THAT with stepping up my game on the natural approaches: Putting aromatic plants in coop and nest boxes, and even a sprinkling of DE here and there, as well as some Ag. lime.

Back
Top Bottom