Anyone use Koop Clean?

Pics
Naturally, nothing even CLOSE to the West Coast.........
barnie.gif

There's just a lot of ads all over your blog, and the pinterest image/link right in the middle of all the images
roll.png
(sorry, not a pinterest fan)....I find them distracting but understand your need to have them and do appreciate the good info in the blog. JMHO.
I don't "need" to have any sponsor banners on my blog, I choose to have them there. Nobody is ever compelled to visit my blog. My blogging activity is my occupation and without sponsors, I would be unable to devote the scads of time necessary to research and write the "good information." ;)

LOVE KOOP CLEAN and not affiliatd in any way. I first saw it on The Chicken Chick's Blog and then in a few magazines. I mentioned it to my not so local feed store and they got it in for me. I mentioned it at a chicken workshop sponsored by the feed store and a bunch of people went over and got it. Now the stock boy told me they can't keep it in stock. We pay 20 at Mike's Feed Farm in Rivervale, NJ. When I open a bag, I go get one or two more so I don't go all the way out there and get disappointed.

I love it because my coop never has an off smell. One of my hens died from what the state lab said was Marek's, but she called me when she got my hen and asked what I bathed her with. Water and my hand on her poopy butt when she couldn't stand. No soap or perfume as I am highly allergic to factory made smells. We figured out that it was the fresh smell of the straw in the Koop Clean. I also use sand in the run, so her feet were very clean. She liked the sand in the run.

Best thing about Koop Clean is that it is chopped straw. That means on Wednesday, I can take out the clumps and damp and just refresh. It is compressed and chopped, so that bale is equal to at least two bales of regular straw and you fluff it. On Sunday, I do a full clean out of the large Snap Lock Coop, which only houses 6, so you get an idea of the size. (not large enough)

The PDZ is what they put under the straw in horse stalls to combat the urine smell. There has not been a smell in the coop since I started with Koop Clean. I also got a pail of plain PDZ and after a heavy rain, the sand can get a little odor. A handfull of PDZ scattered here and there and raked in and odor is gone. The stuff is amazing.
Actually, it's not straw, it's hay. IOW dried grass. That's one of the reason's I prefer it.

Stray is muck stiffer, tends to get stuck in the chicken's nasal holes and doesn't break down as fast because it is predominantly fiber.

I just located a place about 30 miles from where I live that has Koop clean, I am going to get it and try it out. I use pine shavings in the summer but in the winter I use regular straw and It is hard to clean my koop in the winter so I am hoping that the Koop Clean helps to keep down the smell over winter. Also, Can anybody please explain to me or post a picture of a dropping board? I have to make some changes to my koop because my hens are pooping in their nesting boxes and I would like to try to keep the droppings off the eggs. I am pretty new at having chickens so I am sure there is a better way to build a koop than what I have just need some suggestions. Thanks.
Melissa
Here you go Melissa:

I need to make a new pair that are a little wider and closer to the roost though, as you can see some of the ejected poop lands on the edges of these, but you get the idea. Mine are filled with granular PDZ which not only helps keep the ammonia at bay but also helps to dry out, and clump the poop, making it easier to scoop.

Last edited:
I paid $12.70 a bag. It was a bit pricey, but the bag was bigger than the normal sized TSC shavings I get, plus I have read that it lasts longer than regular pine, so it evens out for the most part.

Just put some in my brooder, smells SO good! Chicks are having a ball scratching through it. Now I will see how well it works.

It is performing OK. I probably don't have enough of it in the coop to be honest. It doesn't smell as fresh as it did & I don't have a poop board. I'm trying it for the summer, but am not sure it will work for deep litter in the winter. It does stick to eggs even more than pine chips. I would have to use more than 2 bags in the winter & that would exceed the cost of equine pellets & chips I use now. I think it is a good product & it's heat treated (to address the mold issue above), but the $18.99 price tag is pretty steep. I will have to wait and see how labor intensive the clean out is compared to chips.

Website says it's Chopped hay and straw with PDZ added.
How big is a bag of this stuff? Is it highly compressed like pine shavings?

Seems pricey for what it is......but I'm very frugal and an outspoken marketing skeptic.

I would think if it's not properly dried before packaging it might mold in a humid environment.
Maybe why they say to clean out once a week? (as well as to sell more of it course)

I buy the 25# bags of PDZ for $10 and mix with sand(quikcrete brand fine sand $4/50#) 1:4 for poop boards.

I saw tiny bags of zeolite(not sure if it was a PDZ brand name) packaged for chicken owners at TSC, price was ridiculous...something like 4-5$/lb?
The bag is 2.4 cubic feet of bedding per bag, (approximately 30 lbs) which covers 63 square feet when spread at a depth of two inches. Yes, it is highly compressed and is larger than a bag of pine shavings typically found at TSC. The hay and straw are heat-treated, which kills mold spores and weed seeds and they are cut short, which maximizes absorbency and hastens decomposition of spent bedding in compost vs. straw alone.

You can read my review of it at this link if you like. I am a skeptic too- the only way to convince me is by performing as claimed and Koop Clean does. Try it for yourself and then decide whether it's worth the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom