Anyone use Revolution (Selamectin) for roundworm?

KrisCVT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Massachusetts
Found a roundworm in a poop- not sure of the culprit but I have 5 hens so I figure I will treat everyone. Just wondering about Revolution since it treats intestinal parasites in dogs/cats...and I have a bunch of extra doses that I can put to use. My other concern is the rumor of worming with with fenbendazole during molting- so if I can use something else I would prefer it...

Found a roundworm in a poop- not sure of the culprit but I have 5 hens so I figure I will treat everyone. Just wondering about Revolution since it treats intestinal parasites in dogs/cats...and I have a bunch of extra doses that I can put to use. My other concern is the rumor of worming with with fenbendazole during molting- so if I can use something else I would prefer it...

@casportpony @Eggcessive

I have no idea about Revolution, but if you are worried about feather deformity or stress marks by using Fenbendazole during molt, use Valbazen instead. Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10days.

I've used it for round worm in cats. Not chickens, maybe check with the vet to see if it's safe to use on a chicken. I know here at least they've gotten quite a bit pickier about making sure the weight dosage is correct. There's probably a good reason for it.

I would not use Revolution on a chicken without a vet prescribing it. The dosage would have to be precise even if it were safe. I would take a chance on using the SafeGuard (fenbendazole,) since it is widely used for chickens, or wait until the molt is complete. I have used it during a molt without seeing any feather problems afterward. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound once and repeat in 10 days for roundworms.

I, like Eggcessive, have used SafeGuard (fenbendazole) during a molt without any feather problems too, but then I boost their protein during molt, and slightly increase their calcium intake.

Use fenbendazole! Revolution, Frontline, and whatever, are meant for dogs and cats, NOT for poultry! What's reasonable and designed for use on pets is one thing; These products will have residues in eggs for a long time, aren't used in any livestock species anywhere.
Mary

My dog was just at the vet today...he just had to get his nails cut and I had to pick up his monthly Revolution.

Are there different kind/types of Revolution because the one I use only prevents heartworms and fleas...not intestinal worms.

Revolution for dogs manages heartworm and fleas. The newer Revolution Plus for cats gets heartworm, fleas, ticks, roundworms, hookworms, and ear mites.
Cats are harder to 'pill', while dogs mostly think Heartgard or Sentinal is wonderful!
Different species respond differently to the same drug, and that's just how it is.
It's best in many areas to also manage ticks, IMO, who are moving into new areas every year.
Mary

Revolution for dogs manages heartworm and fleas. The newer Revolution Plus for cats gets heartworm, fleas, ticks, roundworms, hookworms, and ear mites.
Cats are harder to 'pill', while dogs mostly think Heartgard or Sentinal is wonderful!
Different species respond differently to the same drug, and that's just how it is.
It's best in many areas to also manage ticks, IMO, who are moving into new areas every year.
Mary
Thanks.
My dog is a little fake thing so he has to use the drops for puppy size.

Back
Top Bottom