Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I use sand in my outdoor, uncovered run in NE Ohio (plenty of snow...) It froze, which was great--I scooped the poop right off. I also swept the snow, so they would have room to roam about. The girls didn't mind the cold of winter or the frozen surface one bit. When the temps went above freezing (finally !), they just scratched away and had chicken fun!

So, I've been thinking of Sand, or sand mix as during the winter, I had someone helping out with the coop cleaning (I was kinda in the hospital and laid up for a while:rolleyes: )
  They stripped down way too much earth.. which since it's next to the house.. doubled the problems as there was less earth absorbing water, and before it went down.. into my basement of course :sick
   I'm thinking sand would be too porous that close to the house by itself.. help??!!  lol:idunno

So, I've been thinking of Sand, or sand mix as during the winter, I had someone helping out with the coop cleaning (I was kinda in the hospital and laid up for a while:rolleyes: )
  They stripped down way too much earth.. which since it's next to the house.. doubled the problems as there was less earth absorbing water, and before it went down.. into my basement of course :sick
   I'm thinking sand would be too porous that close to the house by itself.. help??!!  lol:idunno

It sounds like you may have a drainage problem around your home. Sand will not help or hurt that but I would fix the drainage problem if its entering your basement.

I have a question for you that have switched to sand. Do I need to let it dry out some before i add it to the coop? I have a wood floor and don't want it to start rotting from the sand being wet. If i do need to dry it out some, what is the best way to do it? Thanks for your elp.

I have a question for you that have switched to sand. Do I need to let it dry out some before i add it to the coop? I have a wood floor and don't want it to start rotting from the sand being wet. If i do need to dry it out some, what is the best way to do it?  Thanks for your elp.
I would put a liner in your coop first. Unless the sand is super wet the spring time heat and air flow should dry it out in the coop.

It sounds like you may have a drainage problem around your home. Sand will not help or hurt that but I would fix the drainage problem if its entering your basement.

I'm in NW Washington, I have a drainage problem, period!
gig.gif

It was pretty wet this winter, and some of the gutters on one building had to be replaced, which is done now other than a few tweaks. Between the scraping too far down and water erosion during that time, I lost a good 4 inches in soil depth. My concern is in making the best choice possible with replacing what was lost, I'm planning on mostly sand on the far side where it slopes down away from the buildings.. but am debating between sand/pebble or sand and something that will retain more water until it finds its way down hill.
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote: Nothing will "retain water until it runs downhill"
It either runs away from the house as it falls, or it goes straight down into the ground.
Your problem with water in the basement is a drainage issue, not a "soil type" issue

Nothing will "retain water until it runs downhill"
It either runs away from the house as it falls, or it goes straight down into the ground.
Your problem with water in the basement is a drainage issue, not a "soil type" issue

... I know I have a drainage issue.. I've stated that quite obviously if you had read my entire replies!
hide.gif

My concern was with suggestions for the best choice possible in replacing lost soil in the area as I'm preparing to do that.
smack.gif
Clearly I have an audacity problem for even bothering anyone with such complicated thoughts. My apologies.
I have received some solid thoughts on what to use from other knowledgeable members now (which I am extremely thankful for!
hugs.gif
),
so no need to criticize any further, thank you.
Good luck with everyones projects!

PS... dirt, peat, and many other soils are known to hold liquid.. just sayin'
tongue.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom