Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
How is sand for throwing down scratch for them to pick around in? Does it just disappear? I throw out some scratch every am with meal worms, and they love to scratch around in it. If it is a sand floor, it seems the grains would just sift on down.
That's what I like.....their natural instinct is to peck and scratch for their food......they can do a number on my sand run. I get my coarse sand thru a contractor friend.....I spread the scratch all around so that they WILL stay busy!!

Ok I have questions. I can relate to the people who talk about big muddy messy runs, that's what mine is like after two days of rain. And the smell is not very pleasant. If I put down sand, what do I do about scrapes I throw out to them? Also if I go with sand do I mix in some DE with it?? Love my girls and wanna make sure they are happy with what I put down. They usually are walking around pecking in the ground and dirt so don't want them to be unhappy with the sand.
Not sure what to do??

They will not be unhappy with sand. Believe me the sand is much better than the muddy stinky mess and you can throw your scraps right into the sand. Remember chickens eat rocks to help their gizzards to grind up what they eat so sand does not hurt them. Always remember as well. People in areas that have sandy soil raise chickens as well.

I use sand for the floor of the coop, works great. I use a 'flour sifter' to add DE on top of the sand then stir the sand to mix together. A quarter inch mesh wire basket like tool to scoop the poop and sift out the sand back onto the floor.

Charlie

They will not be unhappy with sand. Believe me the sand is much better than the muddy stinky mess and you can throw your scraps right into the sand. Remember chickens eat rocks to help their gizzards to grind up what they eat so sand does not hurt them. Always remember as well. People in areas that have sandy soil raise chickens as well.
thumbsup.gif

I read a review on sand in chicken coops yesterday. They suggested covering a rake of some sort, perhaps a rake for horse manure covered by a wire mesh. I wish I could remember the website, they actually had a picture of what they used. The mesh was maybe 1/2 by 1/2 inch. The article talked also stated how quick and easily the daily cleanup was. I am definitely going to try it. We live in Ohio and the mud and manure is worse this year than ever before.....YUCK!!

Back
Top Bottom