Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I'm new to chickens and have had my young chickens out in the coop now for about 2 weeks. I started using sand based on some googling around and because of this thread (Thanks!)

One question I have is - When I use the kitty litter scooper I have, it picks up all the large poops, but when they get crumbly (which is good, dry = easy to clean and no smell) I'm often left with sand full of little pieces of dry crumbly poo that my scooper won't pick up.

Do I care? Well, kinda, because it's less satisfying making zen patterns with poop.

Is it because of the age of the chickens (they're still pretty small) and their poo will get larger? Or do I need a finer mesh on my scooper?

I'm very interested in this thread as my husband and i are starting construction of our new and first coop this weekend. We are getting 10 hens delivered in about a month! Yay!

Sand is my first choice for the run and coop since our property is nearly pure sand. However, we do live in Illinois and get some pretty cold winter temps. I know sand in the winter was mentioned a few times through this thread, but I admit I didn't read every post, and now I need an answer rather quickly since we are making decisions about materials really soon.

So, what I need to know is, is sand OK in the winter in the coop, or will my girls be too cold? If so, what do you sand users do in the winter? I'm surprised that of all of the responses I have read, almost everyone loves sand...so that says a lot, right?
wink.png

I'm very interested in this thread as my husband and i are starting construction of our new and first coop this weekend. We are getting 10 hens delivered in about a month! Yay!

Sand is my first choice for the run and coop since our property is nearly pure sand. However, we do live in Illinois and get some pretty cold winter temps. I know sand in the winter was mentioned a few times through this thread, but I admit I didn't read every post, and now I need an answer rather quickly since we are making decisions about materials really soon.

So, what I need to know is, is sand OK in the winter in the coop, or will my girls be too cold? If so, what do you sand users do in the winter? I'm surprised that of all of the responses I have read, almost everyone loves sand...so that says a lot, right?
wink.png
Below is from The Chicken Chick.com I use sand and have found all to be true. My 3 week olds were out of the Brooder and into the coop with 43 degree weather no problems. Now it is 95 plus and they love it. I have a shady spot and they just burrow in to the cool sand!

keeps coops cooler in the summer (provided the coop does not have a glass roof and direct sunlight all day)
  • sand is an outstanding choice in the winter because it evaporates moisture more rapidly than other litter and stays drier, reducing the risk of frostbite
  • in the winter, sand retains warmth better than any other bedding and given its high thermal mass, it will keep coop temperatures more stable than other litter choices such as pine shavings and straw.
  • risk of frostbite reduced in cold temperatures (as moisture is not retained in the litter)
  • looks cleaner than other litter options and it is cleaner

I'm new to chickens and have had my young chickens out in the coop now for about 2 weeks.   I started using sand based on some googling around and because of this thread (Thanks!)

One question I have is -    When I use the kitty litter scooper I have, it picks up all the large poops, but when they get crumbly (which is good, dry = easy to clean and no smell) I'm often left with sand full of little pieces of dry crumbly poo that my scooper won't pick up.

Do I care?    Well, kinda, because it's less satisfying making zen patterns with poop.

Is it because of the age of the chickens (they're still pretty small) and their poo will get larger?   Or do I need a finer mesh on my scooper?

Hi. I use sand as well.... The poop does get bigger as they mature but I still get small pieces that my scoop doesn't pick up... I think a finer scoop would do the trick...

I use sand also but I use an old tin kitchen utensil for straining. Works much better then kitty litter scoop. Gets the small stuff but I also on the flip side probably use more sand.

Having a senior moment and can't think of what it is called. You find them at thrift stores and garage sales.

Thank you very much, sacchick! I was worried that in winter the birds might need something with some "fluff" to it to help keep them warm, but sand seems like the way to go!

ya.gif
I'm such a proud Army mom today! We are headed to a little town of Norlina, NC to hear my career Army son speak at the Veteran's Day service at their cemetery. He has one more year before retirement and has always been proud to serve where ever he has been sent. However, he is so looking forward to retirement. Even as a 12 yr old, he would be one of a group who put flags on the graves of our veterans. He's a good "kid".....(always my kid...only son)
clap.gif

ya.gif
I'm such a proud Army mom today! We are headed to a little town of Norlina, NC to hear my career Army son speak at the Veteran's Day service at their cemetery. He has one more year before retirement and has always been proud to serve where ever he has been sent. However, he is so looking forward to retirement. Even as a 12 yr old, he would be one of a group who put flags on the graves of our veterans. He's a good "kid".....(always my kid...only son)
clap.gif
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom