Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I have play sand in my coop. In a year I changed it out. I added sweet pdz and diamathious earth. I turn the dirt periodically and rake debri up too. Odor stays at a minimum. The upper level where they roost I have a poop caddy. Hubby built it like a tool box caddy. The "handle" is the roost. Droppings go into the caddy. Also sand pdz and diamathious earth. Works wonders for my small flock. I put the old dirt in the back portion of my property. It's gone now. Rain has basically caused it to blend into the landscape. Used play sand from Home Depot

I think I read that sweet PDZ doesn't work if it gets wet, as in the run area. I'd love to put a bag or two in my run and mix it with the concrete sand that I have in there.
Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been contemplating using sand in our coop but haven't been sure what kind exactly to use. Thanks to everyone for always sharing your knowledge and wisdom!
highfive.gif

This is a long thread and I've tried to read it all but.... I'm very interested in sand. Going to use a mix of sand and sweet ptz in the whole coop (except nesting boxes of course). But a few questions. Wood ash. I saw some comments but not an original post. What do you do with it? We have woodstove and have a lot of ash, would love to do something with it! Also. DE, I read somewhere it's bad for bees. We keep bees in a few local small backyard gardens and have one hive in our yard. What is the purpose of DE? And if it's bad for bees why would anyone use it? Thanks in advance for any help!

We bought an inexpensive shovel and my husband drilled holes in it. Looks like a giant kitty litter scoop. Works great. Easier on the back with not needing to bend so low. Except, shaking a shovel back and forth is hard on the back after a while. I guess you trade one for the other. Our girls love the sand. Their nails stay clean and "filed". Our run is mostly shaded, so hot sand is no problem. Our run is 8X8, and 1/2 a scoop (that's how we have to ask for it~ either 1/2 or whole scoops) is too much sand for us. We get our sand from a stone place that builds rock walls etc. less than $30 for us. It fills our S10 and we layer a good 3-4 inches deep. I'll add sand as the level recedes. I wouldn't use play sand, only because I'm freaked out about ring worms. My daughter had ring worms from a park, and now I'm scared. Don't tell me there's a possibility of ring worm in all sand. Let me live in denial. Lol

Last edited:
We bought an inexpensive shovel and my husband drilled holes in it. Looks like a giant kitty litter scoop. Works great. Easier on the back with not needing to bend so low. Except, shaking a shovel back and forth is hard on the back after a while. I guess you trade one for the other. Our girls love the sand. Their nails stay clean and "filed". Our run is mostly shaded, so hot sand is no problem. Our run is 8X8, and 1/2 a scoop (that's how we have to ask for it~ either 1/2 or whole scoops) is too much sand for us. We get our sand from a stone place that builds rock walls etc. less than $30 for us. It fills our S10 and we layer a good 3-4 inches deep. I'll add sand as the level recedes. I wouldn't use play sand, only because I'm freaked out about ring worms. My daughter had ring worms from a park, and now I'm scared. Don't tell me there's a possibility of ring worm in all sand. Let me live in denial. Lol

I found a large metal scooper thing on the side of the road (I LOVE when I find cool stuff like that!!), brought it home and had my husband drill holes in it as well. I love it! Not sure what size drill bit he used though...the holes are about the size of my pinkie finger if that helps ;)

Back
Top Bottom