Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I'm in the PNW too, specifically just outside of the Mt. Baker National Forest. This is what their free range area looks like.
They will have lots of leaves, bark, moss to dig around in. I was wondering what to put in the coop. It has a cement pad with cinder block walls. And what is PDZ? Thanks in advance!
"Sweet PDZ is an all-natural, non-hazardous and non-toxic mineral. It captures, neutralizes and eliminates harmful levels of ammonia and odors."

Get the granular form. You can find this in bags at the feed store, usually. I mix a couple of bags in with my sand that is in the run.

You can use sand in the coop also.
My coop has a vinyl covered wood floor and is raised. Right now, I am currently using a mix of pine granules and 'Stall Dry', a product made for horses. It looks like sand.
This has worked very well in the coop. The level gradually goes down as the quickly desiccated poops are removed with a kitty litter scoop, and is easily replenished.
Got this at the feed store, too. It is sort of an alternative to the PDZ; both absorb ammonia and dry poops out.

Last edited:
Hi. Oh yes i swear by the dg mix it's decomposed granite mixed with sand. So easy to clean. I took the plastic pitch for and wrapped chicken wire around it so it picks up the poop and the sand mix sifts through. Works like a charm. It keeps them cool in the summer and works with the other seasons. I don't put the sand in the nest boxes just on the floor of their coop and in their attached enclosure which i use as a safety area in case a predator comes around. They free range during the day.

If course construction sand is favored by some, then why wouldn't pea gravel be good for all the same reasons?

I am considering using sand in my coop as well as in the run. So far I've heard nothing but good reports from people saying they love it! The only 'bad' thing I read was where one person reported that it was too cold for them to stand in, in the winter. That her chickens preferred to leave the coop and stand outside rather than inside on the sand.
Can any of you who live in cold areas comment on whether you've had issues with that? Thanks so much!

I have an enclosed run in winter, roof and sides being translucent, so I get a greenhouse effect where the sand acts as a heat sink, mediating the temperature. The sand warms up during the days when the sun is out, and it's out 300 days a year here, and holds the heat pretty well over night. My chickens love the sand.

If course construction sand is favored by some, then why wouldn't pea gravel be good for all the same reasons?

Construction sand is still more sandy than gravelly. So it coats and desiccates the poop. It also acts like gentle sandpaper to keep their feet/nails clean and trimmed.
Also easy to scoop and sift out poop.
I don't think pea gravel would achieve those things.

Last edited:
Hey!  I like your sand on the poop board idea.

Off subject...can someone explain how to highlight a portion of a post that you want to respond to?  Thanx

I uese a bag . Of play sand with PDZ on my poop board. I have a tray under the roots. It does not smell to me. My husband does not agree but he thinks any smell is bad. There is no ammonia smell bc the PDZ , absorbs it. I love it and will be switching my coop bedding for sand/PDZ this fall

Went out to a concrete plant before work yesterday to take a look at the different sand options. What do you guys think?

This one looked the best to me. It's been very wet and rainy here so when I held the sand, it did clump some. It has small to medium particles in it.

This next grade of sand is finer and clumped even more...

And finally, this was a third option but I think they are too large almost tiny pebbles.

In my opinion, based on what I have read you want the first one...with maybe a mix of the 3rd one... the larger pebbles will help with drainage.

Went out to a concrete plant before work yesterday to take a look at the different sand options. What do you guys think?
In my opinion, based on what I have read you want the first one...with maybe a mix of the 3rd one... the larger pebbles will help with drainage.

I would agree. You do want some of those larger granules, but not 100%. What about 2/3 of #1 and 1/3 of #3, something like that?

Back
Top Bottom