Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
You can use a hay pitchfork and put screen over it. Voila! Giant scoop!! Just make sure the openings in the screen will let the sand through. If you use the number 3 coarser sand, you may need to use 1/4 or 1/2 inch wire cloth.

Last edited:
In my opinion, based on what I have read you want the first one...with maybe a mix of the 3rd one... the larger pebbles will help with drainage.

I would agree. You do want some of those larger granules, but not 100%. What about 2/3 of #1 and 1/3 of  #3, something like that?

Oooooh I just quoted two people at once for the first time. 8}}} Nice feature. Thank you both for your quick and thoughtful replies. After all my research, field trips to several concrete/gravel plants, I'm going with my first plan: deep litter. I don't know if this is the permanent spot for my coop and moving all the sand was going to be money, time, etc. I'm using shavings and then leaves from the trees in my yard. So far my 7 wk old chicks are loving it. Time will tell for me. Thank you again! Being able to consult with fellow BYCers is invaluable to me.

Diatomaceous Earth

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
I use it, but I'm not 100% that it does anything. Some people say it helps dry the poop, and cuts down on bugs. I have the same amount of bugs as I usually do, and the poop doesn't seem to be any dryer than with out it. I'll finish the bag; but probably won't buy it again. I read that it is supposed to be a good bug killer because it will cut their exoskeleton. I've thrown it directly on bugs to see what happens. They run away, but I didn't follow them to see if they died. lol If it works for you, go for it. If not, smile and nod to those that do.

I switched my coop to sand and sweet PDZ... the birds love it, except for one of my new (15 week) pullets have taken to pushing/scratching the pine shavings out of one of the nest boxes... strange...

Last edited:
If course construction sand is favored by some, then why wouldn't pea gravel be good for all the same reasons?

B/C Pea Gravel is too large for them. They may pick one up from time to time, but if you compare play sand w/ all-purpose sand and pea gravel, you can see the difference.

I have river sand from a gravel pit, in my coop. It has a range of particle sizes, from tiny to 1/4 inch and a few rocks mixed in. I scoop it daily and I like it. My chickens love dirt bathing in it, And they get their grit from it. I don't foresee needing to strip it all out. I will just add more if it gets thin from scooping. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't plan to scoop it regularly.

Back
Top Bottom