Anyone Use "Top" Bedding from Canada?

Tdub4chiks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Constantia, NY
My son just went to the local Agway and asked them for a bag of "pine" shavings. They sold him a large bag of "wood" shavings from Top which is located in Canada. It's a large green bag and does not state which king of wood is used. I cannot find anything on their website stating what kind of wood this is at all. This site states it is used with cows & pigs. For type of shavings, it just says "fine & extra fine".

Anyway, it smells like it has cedar in it. I'm not positive, but don't want to kill my girls.

Does anyone have more information than the manufacturer does?

Here's the website: http://www.top-bedding.com/wood-shavings/wood-shaving.php

Thanks
for any help.

I have used this since they were chicks back in May. I get it at Agway also. I really like it because it is a little finer than a regular bag of wood shavings. Also, it expands to almost 10 cubic feet!!, you will be amazed how far it goes. I think I pay $6, so you can't go wrong for the price. I am not sure what kind of wood it is, I always just figured it did not have that red cedar look to it. I have to believe it is just pine since I would think cedar would cost more. Like I said, I have used it for the first 6 months of their lives with no problems (sneezing or any other respiratory issues). Not sure if this helps at all....but I will continue to use it.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Do you remember what color your bag was. I guess Green is as I stated, and the orange or red is for poultry. I cannot find out the difference.

Maybe, I'll just mix it up with the pine bedding I currently have. Again, thanks for the info.

The green bags are more fine, red are bigger chips. I have used this brand for a long time and we use it in the horse stalls too...don't worry. They make good shavings, but sometimes we find some wierd things in the bags...like work gloves for instance.

I am in canada, Top only supplies Pine shavings!! Top delivers pine shaving by the truckload the paper/pulp mill in my town Via Real Hebert trucking. There is no cedar what so ever!! Hope this helps.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That's too funny. I was just thinking I could use a new pair of gloves...lol

Thanks Ema...I feel so much better. I just wanted a little more fluff because it's getting mighty chilly here at night.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That's too funny. I was just thinking I could use a new pair of gloves...lol

Thanks Ema...I feel so much better. I just wanted a little more fluff because it's getting mighty chilly here at night.

I have gotten a few truck loads form the mill after the truck delivered there. the mill will sell a few tonnes to community members if we call ahead of ordering. I get mine for the horses and the coop and the guinea pigs. though for the chickens and the horses I cover the shavings with straw. But I do like the shavings. Before I knew I could purchase from the mill I always bought the green striped bags :)

Quote:

Yup, green stripes on my bag, no worries....I am also from CNY and you are right about the chilly nights
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom