Anyone using black soldier flies?

You could certainly make a living selling bugs, I have in the past and a good friend of mine sells mantids as a hobby he has another job making really good money but he makes enough weekly on mantids that I could live on, though I live on the super inexpensive, like $5 a week on food lol. Electricity is my biggest cost and Im working on that, my buddy just built a huge solar grid Im soo jealous lol. Selling feeder insects online has really been booming over the past few years, even things like roaches and other things that people are usually uncomfortable with have increased alot over the past few years. I would look into turkistan and lobster roaches, Ive bred many different breeds of roaches and these two are the stand outs for sure turkistans are great cause they cant climb and only the males fly and lobsters are good cause they reproduce like nothing else. Crickets are good cause in general there the most popular feeder, but they are by far the nastiest also. Flys like houseflies and greenbottleflies are great there easy to raise in large numbers and are in high demand because of the lack of breeders. Goodluck with whatever you do and dont be afraid to ask questions.

I use BSF larvae but I don't have a biopod/ Next year maybe. They showed up in my compost bin and we found out what they were and used them all summer the girls loved them.

Quote:
Wow! That is a really simple set-up and seems to work well. Are the number of larva climbing out of the tub the usual number? There seem to be so many.

This is not normal. I only see this many on very humid days. Normally there may be only 3 or 4 on the ramp. On very dry days there may not be any. On this particular day it had been raining and I got almost a gallon.

I have access to lots and I mean lots of old nasty wheat and unbleached flour would BSF eat this type of stuff? Could I raise any kind of bug with it this stuff? I have a green house that could heated could I raise BSF in the winter in it? I was feeding the old wheat to the chickens but even they don’t want to eat it. Is it possible to get a starter batch of BSF?

Thanks

Leala

The soldier flies will eat it like crazy. Just remember, add only enough they can eat or you'll get a really stinky mess. If you don't mind that during the warm months, the flies will jsut keep laying lots of eggs.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Wow! That is a really simple set-up and seems to work well. Are the number of larva climbing out of the tub the usual number? There seem to be so many.

This is not normal. I only see this many on very humid days. Normally there may be only 3 or 4 on the ramp. On very dry days there may not be any. On this particular day it had been raining and I got almost a gallon.

I'm sad to hear that they like humid days. Here in New Mexico we don't have many of those. Is there anyone who lives in the dry SW that harvest BSF, or that knows if they are viable in the dry climate I have?
hu.gif

Bsf would love to eat that and you could raise them in a greenhouse but you would have to leave someway for the adults to get in and out to lay eggs at least some of the time. Ive used pancake mix to start a bsf bin off just added a little water and they naturally came within a few days but this was in the summer and I live in the south its gonna depend alot on where you live. So I think wheat and flour would be good just make sure its damp but not soaking wet. Also I would be careful about feeding your birds old wheat, the mold and fungus and stuff that grows on it is really bad even deadly for chickens. What other types of bugs might you be interested in raising? Most bugs arent gonna eat dry ingredients like flour at least not much anyway but with a little prep just about anything would.

Back
Top Bottom