Anyone want to hatch with. Today is the big day!!!!!!!!!! (thursday)

After adding the egg turner, I diddled with it a lot. That temp gauge is much thinner than the one I had in there and it took a while to get it up to the 99.5 to 100. Moved it around a bit too and it seems to be good in all areas. I did add some wet paper toweling squares because humidity dropped a few degrees. I'm leaving it alone for an hour and going down and check the window!!
fl.gif

So those were 4 WELSUMMER eggs I added. The only hot weather only birds /eggs in there appear to be the 2 Egyptians........

Talked to a llama friend from Michigan that is down to help with an alpaca show tomorrow as our announcer, he used to show chickens and had lots of different kinds of bantams. So I'm hoping that once these hatch and grow up, he can look them over for me. He will be back down in Oct/Nov.

Of course, there will be lots of pictures if anything hatches.

So now all I have to do is make sure we don't get a power outage AND watch the humidity.

So that's at 50% for now......it is dry inside and I just add a wrung out paper towel in a small square if it drops, seems to be working fine.
fl.gif

My friend was talking about getting SHEEP again. I told her we should be working on CHICKENS!! She has some REALLY NICE silkies. They went broody and fight over the eggs. She had to hatch them in the 'bator and has 2 of the CUTEST chicks. Wants to know how to 'break up' a broody hen.

Cheers for now,
Bonnie in OHIO

So as you all know i had 28 eggs in the bator..........all my d'uccles were not fertile 1 looks like it might be but i doubt it..........so there was 14/15 gone so now we are down to my 13 silkie eggs........9/13 4 were bad.......some of them had blood rings but i kept them in anyways because it kind of looks like it is growing...so 9/28 not so happy.. i just candeled like 4 seconds ago

hit.gif
So sorry your eggs weren't developing.

Have you hatched eggs before? Not me. I did read a lot about troubleshooting as to what happens during development that can stop hatching.

So were they all CLEAR or BLOOD RINGS, or what did you or didn't you see when you candled them?

I've just really gotten some confidence that the settings are right with no fluctuations and not too hot or too cold or too dry.
fl.gif

I was SUPPOSED to be building that chicken tractor/run today! Didn't happen. I hope SOMETHING hatches for BOTH of us!!

I'll be really bummed otherwise.

Last edited:
The egg turner is working, the humidity is ranging from 45-55, temp worries me. Sometimes for hours its dead on, then sometimes like first thing in the morning it might be a few degrees too high or too low.

With house temp at 64 it was dead on. But got the family trained to put down the temp at night so then the bator was affected too.

Well, we will see what happens with this hatch. Next batch will be more local hatching eggs so I know just how fresh they are. Maybe house temps won't be as variable by then! It's only day 3/4! In the evening of the 14th and this is the 17th, so Day 3??? Edited cause I can't count days right!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Sadly, I won 2 bids on the welsummers, 1 a dozen, the other 2 dozen.

1 egg from each arrived cracked.

The 2 dozen egg shipment took 5 days to get here

The 1 dozen egg shipment took 2 days to get here

There has been a 'bad smell' in the 'bator since Thursday (eggs were put in Monday night)

Saturday, one egg cracked and leaking black green slime goo and smelled to high heaven, out it went, don't know which shipment.

Also pulled out 2 eggs with broken air sacs and fluid in the air sacs from shipping trauma of each shipment.

So 36-2-1-4=29 eggs left

8-9 from one shipment
20-21 from the other shipment

So I am 1 less than the number I paid for because 'extras' were sent..........It's been less than a week since start of incubation.

We are thinking old eggs were shipped to fill out the batch. My friend has decided to never order hatching eggs again as she didn't think any of them should have been that bad that soon and we are seeing losses not related to incubation this early in the game. But I do love bidding. Don't know how to find reputable breeders.

My hova bator temps are fluctuating with the night/day temps of the house by 3-4 degrees and I am already worrying about a successful hatch on the 2 dozen mixed eggs there.(Accidentally won that 3rd auction, all bids placed same day) I also have 4 of the above Welsummers in there because her 'bator was overflowing.

Momma hen got off the eggs due to transport today, so I'm pretty sure that all five of those won't be hatching. I did have a happy day, though. Those adult hens gave me 2 fresh eggs and they were LARGE. So I'm eating them as they were EE's.

My hens have to have their legs treated and one has a poopy butt that needs washing. So I'm out to buy some Vaseline.....

Cheers all and I hope your hatches are progressing better!
Bonnie

Anyone else hatching today?
pop.gif
I woke up to three little peepers.
celebrate.gif
Now we are up to 6, with another 6 or more pips.
jumpy.gif
All Mille Fleur cochins, I don't know what is up with my three orloff eggs.
rant.gif

Smilies are good, Chick Pics are BETTER!!!!

So Tomorrow, when they are all dried and fluffy and you have them under the brooder light,

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing cuter than baby chicks (even baby alpacas racing each other up and down the fenceline!)

Gotta go check on my fluffybutts....

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom