Anyone want to help me change Howard County MD's zoning laws?

mollymc

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
I just looked into getting a small flock of chickens here in Howard County, and was quite disappointed to find that unless I can manage to locate a coop a whopping 200 feet from neighboring houses, I'm out of luck. I have a huge back yard, with woods on two sides, but the furthest I could possibly locate a coop from the nearest neighbor is 170 feet.

I have a cousin who lives in an upscale Seatle neighborhood with a tiny back yard, and she can and does legally keep chickens. What's up, Howard County?

The way I see it, I have three options: I can get chickens regardless of the law and hope nobody notices; I can spend a pretty penny applying for a variance and hope for the best, or I can band together with like minded people to try to persuade Howard County to move with the times. I'm starting with option three.

I don't have a plan, but I thought if I could assemble enough interested people we could meet up at Panera or someplace and come up with a strategy.

Anyone interested?

Good news Sarah! I had barely begun the process when I was contacted by a woman who has been working on this for some time. It looks like Howard County is going to ease up a little on their zoning laws to make it easier to keep chickens. I'm not sure what the details are or exactly when the new zoning will take place, but it looks pretty definite that a change is coming.

I live in Thurmont, MD, but I'm planning to move to Howard Co. when I sell my house. I was just looking at my son's and a friend's Facebook page. The friend is getting 4 chickens. They live in San Diego proper. Two of the three in the house are doctors, and they were able to afford a $1 million plus house--in a neighborhood of like houses. I mention that because they are allowed to have chickens--but no roosters.

So I thought I'd check out Howard Co. where I want to move. While my son's house is over 5000 sf, the yard does not seem to me that it would be as what you're describing for yourself.

I assume you're doing a canvass of, at the least, counties in Maryland. Actually, a couple of streets away from me someone has chickens. I was very surprised to encounter one in the street when I was walking my dog.

Back
Top Bottom