Anyone want to join me in an Ideal order this spring? (Central KY)

I'm not sure what date yet, since they haven't posted the dates on their site! I was thinking sometime in late March or early April? I really wanted to get my daughter Houdan chicks for Easter.

I was just wanting a couple of black and blue Standard Cochin pullets and maybe a couple more Ancona pullets for more white eggs, so either place will have those. If you order from Ideal I'll also get a couple Spitzhaubens pullets for Splat...Don't think MM carries them. Not a necessity to have them though so if you want to go with MM it is no problem.
I ordered from both companies last year and have had good and not so good quality from both companies. Customer service is excellent at both and both were very patient with me calling every other day taking off and adding to my orders. Ideal had to deal with that the most.

Andora,

Let me know if you order... I would like a couple of their Ameracuanas and salmon Faverolle pullets... I was thinking about a coupld of Silver Gray Dorking but I'm not sure.... DH wants silver Wyandottes

Let me know.... I can get with RSmith as he seems to live around the corner from me at Ft. Knox....

Thanks

I'm so torn. The prices at Ideal seem much more reasonable, and I know the Houdan we got from there last year was a great bird. But I don't want to have to order 5 or 10 st. run to make sure I get 2 or 3 pullets! I also want to order a cochin pullet or two to love on, and maybe a few of something else that will lay well. I'm having to restrain from ordering a billion crested birds, I just love them so much!
tongue.png

Quote:
Once I/we all decide on a date and which hatchery I'll be sure to post it here! I'll even change the thread title so everyone notices.

Quote:
If you want something that lays well, the Australorp is a sure deal and I would consider the eggs large size, once in a while a jumbo also. Holds the record for 364 eggs laid in 365 days by one Australorp. My BA and Buckeye (brown eggs)have been laying almost on a daily basis and my Ancona (white lg eggs) lays 5-6 days a week. My only other LF is a white standard Cochin and she will start laying soon. Thought she was but I was wrong it was just Nutmegs beginner eggs.

I think I am going to order some Houdans from Ideal and just go with the straight run. Just to update anyone still interested, I'm waiting patiently for Ideal to post the hatch/ship dates for March and/or April. I'd like to order at the end of March or beginning of April depending what dates they have to choose from.

I'll post here once Ideal puts up the new dates on their site!

Hey! I am trying to start my flock this spring. I have no chickens at the moment and really, really want them. I don't want 25 of them though since I live in downtown Louisville and that could make problems with my neighbors. Is anybody placing an order? I want Black Australorps so very badly, but I can't seem to find a place to get them locally and don't want 25 of them. Let me know if I can piggyback on somebody else's order. I'd be happy to drive out to another town to pick up the chicks. Thanks!!!

Kate

Now we are thinking of moving (to Winchester) and I am unsure of what to do! I don't want to order chicks and try to raise them while showing my house to potential buyers.
lau.gif
I don't think everyone shares my bird love and would find chicks an asset like I would. My birds in the coop out back will be bad enough, but chicks in the house? I don't think that will help my chances of selling.

KateofSteel--There is a really nice guy named Mark in Waddy, KY who is getting a huge order of mixed chicks (some pullets and another batch of straight run) on Valentine's weekend. If you're ready for chicks now you could go out to his farm and pick some! He doesn't know what breeds he's getting specifically, but they are coming on the 10th and he'll know then I think. Here's his number:

502-321-3417

Last edited:
I'm going to order from Ideal soon. I want to order for a hatch date at the beginning of April, in time for Easter. I'll call tomorrow and see when they will put up the April hatch dates.

Anyone want to order anything with me?

Back
Top Bottom