1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone who?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by twister, Nov 19, 2010.

1. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    Anyone out there that has a couple of years of experience or more raising poultry and has NEVER had a predator attack?

Long story short...we have been extra vigilant for over 2 years...never a loss until this week and neighbors very large dog got through my dogs, then broke into a double fenced pen ( rabbit wire/and wood and screws ) and slaughtered 8 beloved pets/layers. (only 5 escaped b.c. they fled to nest boxes and the dog failed to look there)

I am devestated as I know many on here who have experienced this .. must feel. THING is... every night we double triple ck to make sure coop is locked tight. We made sure they were secure. We did everything we knew to do ( live traps, netting, fencing, more high gauged fencing , and lock down at night) We were SOOOOO careful. NOW i am completely devestated and discouraged. I do not even want to try again w. more b.c. I feel like such a failure.

2. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    twister,

I've never had a successful predator attack. I have had a visit by a large dog and a hawk both of which I interrupted. I also had an other dog enter the yard, but it stayed away from the birds and left when I hollered at it.

But you need to understand that if the birds are not fully enclosed (top, bottom, and sides) by a substantial structure you will eventually have an attack that is successful.

Even if the birds are securely contained it only takes a single mistake to allow an attack to succeed.

I wouldn't beat myself up over it to the point where I didn't have another go at it.

Learn from the incident, increase your protective measures.

I'm sorry that you lost your bird friends, remember them and enjoy the birds you still have.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dont throw in the towel twister. I've been through all the emotions too. My problem has been snakes. I have a large pen and it's impossible, impractical and very expensive to snakeproof it. I've lost chicks and pullets, almost lost my adult buff orpington hen to a chicken snake two years ago. I've had cats,coons, rats and possums try get into my pen and couldnt...I've trapped or killed everyone of them. Now I'm dealing with hawks flying in...tough to defend against them and I let my hens free range all day. All I can do is run outside real quick and try to scare them off as best as I can when I hear the hens squawking and running for their lives for the bushes. Chickens are on everyones menu. TheFox is right...dont beat yourself up. Good luck.

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone who has livestock, is bound at some time to have dead-stock.

I don't know what to tell you that could encourage you. It's never easy to lose an animal, but it's so rewarding the rest of the time that I've always chosen to go on with it. If you need a break, take one, but come spring I bet the peeps will be calling your name!

5. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    As an EMT, I've seen more than my share of death. I hate death, and do everything in my power to thwart it, but sometimes the inevitable happens. The thing is---the loss of a chicken is hard to take, but the loss of a loved one is so much worse that it's not even comparable. I would be thankful that your loved one(s) are safe, and do my best to protect the birds that I have left. We must always remember that birds and most animals are prey animals, and they were put on this earth to provide food for the carnivores. It's nature's way.

6. coldwetnoz

coldwetnoz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Dogs are just one of many predators we have to watch out for. I used to keep my flock a good ways from the house and I fought predators all the time. My current flock is close to the house so it's safer. But......I've found that having a couple of my own yard dogs who know better than to mess with my chicken is a real help. Strange dogs do not come into my yard because it's being watched by the resident dogs. Also, there are some dogs that are specially bred for that reason. Don't give up.

coldwetnoz

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm so sorry twister. That's rough.

To answer your question. I haven't had a predator attack in 7 years.
    Predators can be very individual to each situation.
    Don't give up, come back better and stronger.

Imp

8. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I know how it feels to have your flock nearly wiped out by a dog. Two years without loosing a single bird to predators is a pretty good streak. Maybe VL dog's people will be responsible enough to help you get restarted?

You can measure your affection toward something by weighing the loss that you feel. I'd say you really liked your chickens so you should not give up. Whenever old doors close, new ones will open.

I restarted my flock after a dog attack. I didn't allow myself to grow as attached to the new flock. Well, I tried not to. It is hard not to love the stupid things when you see their individual personalities. The Karma of their little chicken souls makes you wonder.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  9. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    Thank you all for the encouraging replies and after a break, I believe , no-scratch that... i KNOW that I will add more to the flock. I do love the lil' birdies and the special, unique way that they contribute to the life process.

the neighbor's dog killed my roo the week prior to this. the neighbor promised to keep the dog secure. he was free again in about a week ( either by neglect or accident or free will-- i do not know) and slaughtered 8 layers.

Upon a very polite, yet percisely written and firm letter, hand delivered to the neighbor, he paid the requested restitution. He is to follow up with giving the dog away since he can not successfully keep it contained. I have good neighbors and consider that I am one likewise and WANT to keep it that way.

The large dog went past 3 of my "gaurd" dogs who "knew" they were too old, too small and too outmatched (THANKFULLY -- they knew it, or I would have had dead dogs on my hands too)...
    That's how 'bad' this dog was..and no, i will never believe that it is instinctual for DOMESTIC/WELL CARED FOR dogs to do this or it is natures way... intelligent, well fed, well cared for dogs SHOULD know better than to cross property lines and be destructive the the sake of being destructive... prey or not..they are not wild and should know better. I am glad that I did not have to shoot the dog, for I do not feel that is an answer. glad that he is to be relocated.

The hurt is very real and very raw. I hope to be like IMP and can be extremely secure in the future...I am at a loss of 'what more can I do?"

The advise given was real. Thank you for helping to heal the emotional wounds.

10. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    My well fed, well cared for dog still kills my chickens when they happen to get out of their yard. She is a Border collie mix and anything that moves she instantly goes after. Whether it is a cat, goat or chicken if it runs she is after it. The cats have learned if they do not run she gets bored in about 3 seconds and goes off to look for other entertainment. My flock was close to my house but I have since moved it close to my barn which is beyond her underground fence and two other fences. They are now safe from her but the raccoons and possums are another story. Until I get better fencing I won't be getting any more chickens. It is hard to lose the chickens after you get attached to them but they are prey animals. And it does not matter how many predators you kill there are many more to take their place. All anyone can do is make the strongest pen you can and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by