Anyone with a Three-Legged-Cat? I am a wreck deciding what to do with my boy....

So, I had asked a surgeon for a second opinion when we first found the lump on Fang, and he just finally got back to me (the day before surgery). I’m really grateful that he found the time. Anyway, he said that he feels like this might not be a tumor, though it is very likely that it is, but it could also be some “infectious” something, or “mineralization of muscle or ligaments”. He said that these are really really rare and unlikely, but that sometimes those types of things might not continue to grow and then we could leave the lump on him and he could do just fine. But, he said, it’s far far more likely (like 99%) that this is a tumor and he will need the amputation. And the only way to find out if it is one of those other things is to do a biopsy, which is major surgery that he would have to recover from and then it’s 99% likely that he will have to go in two weeks later to get the amputation surgery anyway.

So, now after I had finally found my resolve to do this surgery and felt more confident that I made the right decision, I am faced with having to worry that maybe (super unlikely) I’m getting this amputation for no reason.

At the moment I’m thinking…. it’s SO unlikely that it’s one of those things, and even if it is, it’s not even certain that they wouldn’t be growing and causing the same problem as the tumor (breaking his leg and causing lots of pain), then it’s still better to just do the amputation tomorrow like we’d planned…. right?

What do you all think?

I think I would be inclined to carry on as planned and forget this last minute information, considering the figures you quoted it really makes very little difference to the decision that you have already made, thinking of you today
hugs.gif

I think I would be inclined to carry on as planned and forget this last minute information, considering the figures you quoted it really makes very little difference to the decision that you have already made, thinking of you today
hugs.gif
Thanks, that's what we've decided to do... It's hard because now I feel like I might be having his arm off for no reason but... ugh I just think it's the best thing since its so so unlikely that it wouldn;t need to come off and the bigger it gets the more difficult it is to remove.

I appreciate your thoughts. As you can see, i am not sleeping tonight.

I'm awake too. :) Shhhh, don't tell anyone. :) Anyways love cats I have 2 of them myself. If I had my way, I would have like 4 more, but also if I had my way I would live on a huge property with 20 coops and 50 roosters. I can just imagine someone telling me about this person who was in the middle of moving and their wonderful cat had something on one of its front legs that when it grew it would break its leg, and its owner had the option removing his leg or putting him down. They chose to remove his leg, and now the cat is thriving at its new home. :)

A fast growing tumor should be removed as such behavior indicates this growth may be malignant. Cats are famous for getting fibrosarcomas, and no vet worth their salt will use the wait and see approach. These are aggressive tumors that result in leg amputations.If radiographs reveals bone is involved with the tumor, the appendage is removed. Cats are also famous for getting very rare tumors which grow fast but are benign. Experienced feline practitioners know that the smaller the tumor is the easier it is to remove and faster the recovery time.

In some cases, if the tumor is small enough, the surgeon may removed the tumor only for biopsy. Some elect to do a bone biopsy to rule out an infection via a malignant growth. This involves time and money, and more anesthetic events for the patient.

Occasionally an experienced surgeon may leave the appendage if the tumor's appearance is well encapsulated (round and smooth like a marble).

On the whole, though, feline tumors need aggressive treatment.

A fast growing tumor should be removed as such behavior indicates this growth may be malignant. Cats are famous for getting fibrosarcomas, and no vet worth their salt will use the wait and see approach. These are aggressive tumors that result in leg amputations.If radiographs reveals bone is involved with the tumor, the appendage is removed. Cats are also famous for getting very rare tumors which grow fast but are benign. Experienced feline practitioners know that the smaller the tumor is the easier it is to remove and faster the recovery time.

In some cases, if the tumor is small enough, the surgeon may removed the tumor only for biopsy. Some elect to do a bone biopsy to rule out an infection via a malignant growth. This involves time and money, and more anesthetic events for the patient.

Occasionally an experienced surgeon may leave the appendage if the tumor's appearance is well encapsulated (round and smooth like a marble).

On the whole, though, feline tumors need aggressive treatment.

Thank you. We pretty much came to the same conclusion but in a way less medical way, lol. We just said... if its so unlikely that he wont have to have amputation, and if the bigger this thing gets the more complicated the surgery gets, we should just go on as scheduled. It's hard because now I feel like maybe I'm doing this for no reason, but I do not want to put him through a biopsy and then amputation surgery, and I agree with you - "wait and see" could cause him more problems and for such a slim chance... it just doesn't seem worth it. I think this is the right thing to do.

2 and a half more hours before he has to be there..... *whine*

Thinking of you and kitty - honest the Vet will know what it is when they operate and they wont continue if it is not nescisary! They will only do best for your cat.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif
Here is a pic of my Teddy - he has had his tail amputated half way up since this photo ! cats are resilient he is not nearly 15yrs old.

Oes

Last edited:
Thinking of you and kitty - honest the Vet will know what it is when they operate and they wont continue if it is not nescisary! They will only do best for your cat.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif
Here is a pic of my Teddy - he has had his tail amputated half way up since this photo ! cats are resilient he is not nearly 15yrs old.

Oes

Awwww what a cutie pie! thanks so much!

30 minutes till I hafta take him....

Back
Top Bottom