Anyone with Pitties?

I'd have to dig out some really old pics, but I raised them back in the 80's. Ours were used for Hog Hunting back when I lived in FL. My Stud Dog lived in the house with us, slept on the foot of the bed and was a real sweetie.

hehe. ours have their own room because we only have a queen sized bed. At one time we were sleeping with two people one adult pitty and 3 puppies. It did not work well.

YAY! I loveeeee pittys and I work on the other end of the spectrum. I do a LOT of rescue and foster work. Pit Bulls are my breed of choice
big_smile.png
I have one male named Tommy who is 3 years old, and I used to have a wonderful female named Savannah who passed from cancer in 2008. The white/brindle is Tommy and the solid (almost) brindle is Savannah. Savannah was a rescue, and Tommy I got from a friend who's dog had puppies.

P1010051.jpg

TommySavvyshowingtheircolors1-9-07.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

CheckoutTommysprettyeyes12-19-06.jpg

Tommysackedout12-18-06-1.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

SleepyTommy8-29-07.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

Some pictures made of Savannah after she passed
savannah.png

Savvy3.jpg

Some pictures of them playing. They WERE playing, not fighting lol.
IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

Savannah was beat badly from her previous owner, he ended up damaging the growth plates in her leg, so the radius kept growing but the ulna did not. She had a few surgeries at UC Davis to try and slow down the attack of arthritas, but she had bad arthritas in her elbow and wrist at 5 months old. Poor girl, but she had a wonderful life!
IMG_1620.jpg

Here's our Morgan. She was our surprise rescue dog. She wasn't what we were looking for but is exactly what we wanted and needed. The sweetest most well behaved dog I have ever had. We are so lucky to have found her. She is an American Staff/Pit/Something else mix. She makes our home complete.
39556_december_12_2009_286.jpg

I have 5 pits!! All Americans!
this is Bullet, aka, Bubba. 5 yrs old. He is the biggest lover bug, smiles when you call his name, and sleeps in the folds of my legs everynight, except for those cold nights, he dives under the covers and stays there all night. He is the leader of the pack.
62894_p1020885.jpg

This is Sweetie, 4 yrs old, aka, Petey. Most docile of the breed I have ever seen. Very motherly, her position in the pack is the peacemaker, keeps everyone else in check. She sleeps next to my husband everynight, has her own pillows for her comfort.
62894_hhh_006.jpg

This is Elle, 2 yrs. old, aka, wiggle the runt of 12, the first litter of pups between Bubba and Petey. She is clueless, carefree, playful, yet very submissive to the rest of the pack. She sleeps in between me and my husband, with her head resting on my neck. Such a baby, will she ever grow up?
62894_00_002.jpg

This is Tugboat, aka, Tuggs, 1 yr., first born of 15 from the second litter of Bubba and Petey. He is a big goofish, still thinks he is a puppy, loves affection, very obedient. Dont know where he got the red nose, all our bloodlines are blue............... must go with the brown pigmintation. He sleeps in a kennel in the kitchen, we ran out of room on the bed!
62894_hhh_001.jpg

This is Tita, 1 yr., the runt of 15 from the second litter of Bubba and Petey. Very shy, calm and loving. She also sleeps in a kennel in the kitchen next to her brother.
62894_00_015.jpg

The dogs all live in the house with us and are only put into the kennels when we leave for extended time. They all get along beautifully with all my chicken, ducks and pig, and the other dogs on our property! Very human friendly, but totally dog aggressive.

The totally dog aggressive is typical of the pit breed.
Mine was great with people, yet alpha / aggressive when it came to other dogs - - especially females.

She was great with cats and other animals - - - but she did have issues with other dogs.

Several books I have read confirm that this is a pit trait.

Last edited:
My aunt who lives in Lousiana has a beautiful pitty named Little Mama. She's was gentle, gorgeous, and very sweet. But nobody can hit each other in the house because Little Mama starts barking and freaking out cause she used to be abused so now she can't stand humans fighting...it's pretty amazing.

Me and Little Mama
12257_dsc07051.jpg

Whenever I have introduced other pits to my pits, I have to do it VERY slowly and not on my dogs turf. It can be done, but you have to watch body language and your alpha status is paramount to a non-aggressive introduction. Most of the time they will take their cues from you.

I also introduce a strange dog to my dogs one at a time. That way they don't get the "pack" mentality and gang up on a newcomer.

Back
Top Bottom