Anything contagious that presents as either salpingitis or water belly/ascites?

Emmaschooks

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Hello, I have unfortunately lost 2 of my ex-battery girls quite close together, and have another 2 hens I am concerned about. I’m pretty sure one of the deceased had salpingitis as I found a lash egg not long ago and one of the ones I am worried about now may have water belly as she is starting to do the penguin stance.
They all have the same symptoms. Hunched over, quiet, not eating much, seeming to have some tummy trouble.
It’s just the battery girls, my other 2 pens of bantam mixes and my unrelated rooster in with the batteries are all fine so far.
No diarrhoea, breathing is fine, no marks or sores on face, no loss of coordination so I have been able to rule out a few things already.
I’m asking here first as my vets isnt that skilled with chickens, they are good at superficial stuff but worried they would just suggest pts for something internal.
Is this something contagious I can treat or is it just a run of bad luck? Is there a disease that presents as salpingitis or ascites (or causes them) that can be transmitted between hens? I know battery hens are generally not that healthy anyway from poor genetics and aren’t designed to live that long but I really don’t want to lose all of them at once. I have 8 batteries left currently.
I’ve wormed them to see if that makes a difference.

Btw I am in the UK and fairly certain this is not bird flu as the symptoms don’t match and its just one pen of chooks who is affected.

TIA

Higher production breeds seem more prone to reproductive cancers, and overall burn out. Producing lots of eggs takes a toll on a hen and can lead to kidney and liver problems which can lead to acites. It's the main reason I avoid certain breeds. They are great for people who want lots of eggs and don't mind replacing their birds, but not so great for pet chickens.

Chicken losses seem to come in clumps, and I often see them as seasons change, usually during fall. I generally don't worry unless there are more than a bird here and there that passes or becomes ill.

Back
Top Bottom