Anything else I can do for her?

I’m sorry I don’t have a lot of experience with chicks and how new ones would behave towards an injured one. You may want to wait on someone else to chime in with their experience. Maybe you could post another thread asking for opinions on it? I know sometimes there can be a gang mentality where when there is a weak or injured chick, the others all beat up on it. Of course with her being larger idk if that would be an issue or not. Like you said though, you do have a back up plan if things go badly. Monitor very closely if you go that route.

For now maybe she’d like a mirror or stuffed animal or even some music or tv to keep her company?
Just wanted to update, I got her four babies the evening of discussion, and she's been SO much happier, she tries to roll them under her like a mother to keep them warm, and she's been trilling and eating a lot more since giving them to her. She absolutely adores them, and I'm happy to see her recovering so well. They've been leaving her injury alone, and she's been healing very well over the last few days.

She actually gets mad at me now when I go to take her out to wash down the injury and reapply ointment, because she'd rather be with her babies. She's so used to her six siblings that she was born alongside (I hatched these) so I'm honestly not surprised that she was really upset about being alone, I'm surprised she became motherly towards these chicks though, given she's still just a chick herself.

Attachments

• 20240526_190808.jpg
    20240526_190808.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 5
Just wanted to update, I got her four babies the evening of discussion, and she's been SO much happier, she tries to roll them under her like a mother to keep them warm, and she's been trilling and eating a lot more since giving them to her. She absolutely adores them, and I'm happy to see her recovering so well. They've been leaving her injury alone, and she's been healing very well over the last few days.

She actually gets mad at me now when I go to take her out to wash down the injury and reapply ointment, because she'd rather be with her babies. She's so used to her six siblings that she was born alongside (I hatched these) so I'm honestly not surprised that she was really upset about being alone, I'm surprised she became motherly towards these chicks though, given she's still just a chick herself.
Aww what a wonderful update! It’s amazing what a difference it can make for them to have friends. They’re such social creatures. I’m so glad you had the means to find such a great solution for her. Her wound looks like it’s doing better, too,

I must not have noticed her coloring in the first pics, she is a beautiful chicken.

I must not have noticed her coloring in the first pics, she is a beautiful chicken.
She's an Aloha, they are a very beautiful breed! They're our attempt at recreating an American version of Swedish Flower hens, bred right here in Arizona ^^

I got my eggs off of someone who's part of their breeding project, I have five of them, hatched seven and sent two to a friend of mine. They're all very pretty birds, mine are very friendly too so far. I enjoy having then around.

She's an Aloha, they are a very beautiful breed! They're our attempt at recreating an American version of Swedish Flower hens, bred right here in Arizona ^^

I got my eggs off of someone who's part of their breeding project, I have five of them, hatched seven and sent two to a friend of mine. They're all very pretty birds, mine are very friendly too so far. I enjoy having then around.
How interesting. Would love to see one feathered out as an adult, I bet they’re a really pretty bird!

Back
Top Bottom