Anything Else I Can Do?

Wolf Creek Farms

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Northwest Alabama
Ok, this poor chick is in bad shape, I have her isolated, warm, and as comfortable as possible. I have added a shoe to the one foot and have treated for straddle leg, but if you notice how swollen her leg is, can anyone recommend anything else? I appreciate your help.

17485_100_7423.jpg

17485_100_7424.jpg

17485_100_7421.jpg

17485_100_7425.jpg

Wolfie-

Her hoks look a lot like when I help in oil spills and seabirds are forced to put weight on them when they're not used to doing that 24/7. This would be true for chickens as well.

I'll PM you my email....it would be a long drawn out post....

Sandra

She may have slipped tendon (s).
As sad as it is, I think you should cull her. Her brain and GI tract works fine, and she will happily eat/drink/poop ect but as she grows, she will get sores on any part of her leg that touches the ground that is not supposed to. The bottom of the chicken foot is the part designed to weight bear, not her hocks or the sides of her feet. She is coping with your help, but it is really unlikely that she will be able to lead a close to normal life.

It is kind that you rescued her from wherever she was that let her get so dirty. She was probably getting walked all over by other chicks and having to drag her self through poop.

Oh my gosh! That's so sad!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
poor chickie! he/she is just a baby.....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I'm ot sure what you can do for her....
sad.png
I wouldn't put her out of her misery right now, and you should give her another chance. This might be something that you can cure pretty easily, although I'm far from being sure. Just wanted you to know that there is still some of hope for the little chick. .
fl.gif
So don't let her go yet, unless she's suffering of course.
sad.png
I would say, maybe bring her to the vet?
idunno.gif
Good luck and god bless you and the poor chickie! May he/she soon be going down the road to recovery soon!
hugs.gif
:aww
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom