anything to know about coturnix

Quailz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
I have never had any kind of poultry before, but I wanted to get some. After a lot of reading, I have found that coturnix look like the best option for me. I would appreciate information on anything I should know before starting my flock (beyond all the basics of course), and I would also appreciate breeder reccomendations in Chicago. Thanks!

Last edited:
after trying about 10 different cage setups, i found having them on wire is the easiest to clean, just have a tray underneath good for compost. a sand box is essential. start with birds all the same age, hatch your own, that way they will get along better as long as you have a good ratio of m-f.

Do you have any recommendations for cheap incubators? I would like one that is minimal maintenance, but also cheap. I would also be willing to make my own if the design is very simple.

First, I would like to welcome you to the Quail forum on BYC. There is tons to know, and the "basics" starts from the moment you receive eggs (or live birds) and continues until you process them for dinner.
Here is a good starting point. When you do get your eggs, this link will come in handy (there is an incubation chart for coturnix). When it is time to process your quail, this link will be of assistance. One thing you will need to research on your own is your city ordinance on poultry. Another thing I didn't mention is that you will need a cage to keep your quail in; a good "quaility" cage to keep the cats and mice out. Anything with an opening bigger than 1/2" x 1/2" would be inviting trouble.
I hope this helps.
James

I got quail that were 5 weeks old, but after 2+ weeks, they haven't laid an egg. I was told that they were girls, and I keep them outside in a wire cage even during the night, because they don't want to come inside the little coop. Any help appreciated!
smile.png

I got quail that were 5 weeks old, but after 2+ weeks, they haven't laid an egg. I was told that they were girls, and I keep them outside in a wire cage even during the night, because they don't want to come inside the little coop. Any help appreciated!
smile.png

Read this link... about a quarter of the way downt the page, she discusses how to "vent sex" quail.
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom