anything to know about coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailz, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Quailz

Quailz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    I have never had any kind of poultry before, but I wanted to get some. After a lot of reading, I have found that coturnix look like the best option for me. I would appreciate information on anything I should know before starting my flock (beyond all the basics of course), and I would also appreciate breeder reccomendations in Chicago. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Quailz

Nov 21, 2012
    I forgot to add that I live in Chicago! Sorry!

3. Quailz

Nov 21, 2012
    Please help me out!

4. Quailz

Nov 21, 2012
    Any help would be appreciated.

5. Kylesquails

Kylesquails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Australia
    after trying about 10 different cage setups, i found having them on wire is the easiest to clean, just have a tray underneath good for compost. a sand box is essential. start with birds all the same age, hatch your own, that way they will get along better as long as you have a good ratio of m-f.

6. Quailz

Nov 21, 2012
    Do you have any recommendations for cheap incubators? I would like one that is minimal maintenance, but also cheap. I would also be willing to make my own if the design is very simple.

7. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    First, I would like to welcome you to the Quail forum on BYC. There is tons to know, and the "basics" starts from the moment you receive eggs (or live birds) and continues until you process them for dinner.
    Here is a good starting point. When you do get your eggs, this link will come in handy (there is an incubation chart for coturnix). When it is time to process your quail, this link will be of assistance. One thing you will need to research on your own is your city ordinance on poultry. Another thing I didn't mention is that you will need a cage to keep your quail in; a good "quaility" cage to keep the cats and mice out. Anything with an opening bigger than 1/2" x 1/2" would be inviting trouble.
    I hope this helps.
    James

8. Gelo75

Gelo75 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    California
    I got quail that were 5 weeks old, but after 2+ weeks, they haven't laid an egg. I was told that they were girls, and I keep them outside in a wire cage even during the night, because they don't want to come inside the little coop. Any help appreciated![​IMG]

9. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Read this link... about a quarter of the way downt the page, she discusses how to "vent sex" quail.
    good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by